Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am currently trying to decide between two courses, Psychology and Mathematics. I am just looking for opinions. I am already two years into Psychology (currently second year) but I would rather do Mathematics. However, I would need to take a year off and just work so I can then do Maths next year and cover the course fees for one year myself. This is quite a feat but I would really like to do it. Also, I would need to start from year one. On the other hand, I am not sure how "good" I can be at Maths though I really like it, and I do not want to be left with nothing if I do not manage to save up for my fees within a year.
    Psychology is nice but quite uninspiring and I have thought the whole year last year that I am not sure about doing it. It is difficult to concentrate and just feels trite. On the other hand, it is financially much more practical to finish it, however then I will not be able to do Mathematics anymore. What would you do in this situation?Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AQuestion1)
    Hi,
    I am currently trying to decide between two courses, Psychology and Mathematics. I am just looking for opinions. I am already two years into Psychology (currently second year) but I would rather do Mathematics. However, I would need to take a year off and just work so I can then do Maths next year and cover the course fees for one year myself. This is quite a feat but I would really like to do it. Also, I would need to start from year one. On the other hand, I am not sure how "good" I can be at Maths though I really like it, and I do not want to be left with nothing if I do not manage to save up for my fees within a year.
    Psychology is nice but quite uninspiring and I have thought the whole year last year that I am not sure about doing it. It is difficult to concentrate and just feels trite. On the other hand, it is financially much more practical to finish it, however then I will not be able to do Mathematics anymore. What would you do in this situation?Thanks.
    Personally, if it is maths that you are interested in, I would find a way of making that work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Jack)
    Personally, if it is maths that you are interested in, I would find a way of making that work.
    HI, thanks for your reply. I would like to do it but I need to work hard for a year and even so it will be an achievement to have earned enough for a year of course. I would not like to be stuck working and then not having earned enough.
    On the other hand, it may be better to try and finish university as soon as possible - whichever subject, and then I will hopefully be earning more and will find some way of doing it. It is financially easier and I will finish it quicker but as said, I would prefer to do Maths.

ReputationRep:
    I think financially it makes more sense to finish your psychology degree, especially being as far into it as you are.

I don't know how hard it would be to get onto a maths postgraduate degree after psychology. It might be worth making some enquiries with unis that interest you (it is possible to get onto a postgraduate course for a subject you haven't done at undergraduate but I don't know what the odds are for maths...no pun intended!).

Definitely talk to you uni because maybe there are options to do some kind of joint honours.

It doesn't sound easy so I wish you well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beautifulbigmacs)
    I think financially it makes more sense to finish your psychology degree, especially being as far into it as you are.

I don't know how hard it would be to get onto a maths postgraduate degree after psychology. It might be worth making some enquiries with unis that interest you (it is possible to get onto a postgraduate course for a subject you haven't done at undergraduate but I don't know what the odds are for maths...no pun intended!).

Definitely talk to you uni because maybe there are options to do some kind of joint honours.

It doesn't sound easy so I wish you well.
    Hi, thank you. It is only possible to do a postgraduate if you have an undergraduate Maths degree. If I finish this course, it will be very hard to do it.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thank you. It is only possible to do a postgraduate if you have an undergraduate Maths degree. If I finish this course, it will be very hard to do it.
    Crikey. Definitely get talking to your current uni about your options regarding a transfer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beautifulbigmacs)
    Crikey. Definitely get talking to your current uni about your options regarding a transfer.
    I can only work for a year. I need to earn enough money for a year of course as well as retake the equivalent of A levels in my country and do further Mathematics. Do you think it is possible and worth it? It will all take a lot of time. As I said, it will be very difficult to go into Mathematics later which is why I am thinking about this.
    Or would you suggest I continue with this and I will hopefully eventually find a way to do it? However, this is will be much harder and it will cost far more.

ReputationRep:
    I can only work for a year. I need to earn enough money for a year of course as well as retake the equivalent of A levels in my country and do further Mathematics. Do you think it is possible and worth it? It will all take a lot of time. As I said, it will be very difficult to go into Mathematics later which is why I am thinking about this.
    Or would you suggest I continue with this and I will hopefully eventually find a way to do it? However, this is will be much harder and it will cost far more.
    it's a tough question but if it's going to be expensive either way then it might be worth finishing the psychology degree. Your uni will know more than me but if a transfer across courses can't be done then i think it would be worth finishing the psychology course so you don't leave with nothing considering you'll have already paid for a lot of it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 4, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.