Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys and girls!

We can share news on Cambridge Computer Science on here (offers/interviews/reviews). If you currently study Computer Science at Cambridge, can you please give us an overview of your day and what you do?

College:
    Subjects:
    Grades:
    Predicted Grades:

Maths & FM Average UMS Combined:
    Average UMS of other subjects:

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    College: Queens'
    Subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Computing
    Grades: A* (Maths A2), AAA (AS Physics, Chemistry, Computing)
    Predicted Grades: A*A*A*A*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marioman)
    College: Queens'
    Subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Computing
    Grades: A* (Maths A2), AAA (AS Physics, Chemistry, Computing)
    Mine is:

College: Jesus
    Subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Computing
    Grades: AAAA
    Predicted Grades: A*A*A*A

Maths & FM Average UMS Combined: 87.5
    Average UMS of other subjects: Physics (90), Computing (90)

ReputationRep:
    The thread for us nerds to meet other nerds, great...

College: Robinson
    AS: AAAA (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics)
    A2 Predicted Grades: A*A*A*A (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Additional Further Maths) in that order

Maths & FM Average UMS Combined: 93.7
    Average UMS of other subjects: Physics 91, Economics 81.5.

My bloody school didn't offer Computing. Also, applying for Computer Science with Mathematics. Cos I've always wanted to sit STEP -_- Nah Maths is too amazing to not study at least some of it, plus Physics is all made up.

I go to a Comprehensive school (6 total Oxbridge, but about 0-2 each of last 5 years)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnknownDude)
    Hey guys and girls!

We can share news on Cambridge Computer Science on here (offers/interviews/reviews). If you currently study Computer Science at Cambridge, can you please give us an overview of your day and what you do?

College:
    Subjects:
    Grades:
    Predicted Grades:

Good Luck!
    A Cambridge thread and no UMS talk? Wow xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComputerMaths97)
    The thread for us nerds to meet other nerds, great...

College: Robinson
    AS: AAAA (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics)
    A2 Predicted Grades: A*A*A*A (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Additional Further Maths) in that order

My bloody school didn't offer Computing. Also, applying for Computer Science with Mathematics. Cos I've always wanted to sit STEP -_- Nah Maths is too amazing to not study at least some of it, plus Physics is all made up.
    Nerds to meet other nerds? My UMS is around 87-90 for all my subjects so I'm not a nerd. You sound soo compassionate. I'm sure you'll get an offer.

A Cambridge thread and no UMS talk? Wow xD
    Fixed, soz

ReputationRep:
    Nerds to meet other nerds? My UMS is around 87-90 for all my subjects so I'm not a nerd. You sound soo compassionate. I'm sure you'll get an offer.

Fixed, soz
    We all want to study Computer Science. We're nerds (and proud xD). Compassion means hardly anything mate. Pretty much all applicants have that across all 4, put more detail about your UMS :P

Nice, I updated my original post.

ReputationRep:
    We all want to study Computer Science. We're nerds (and proud xD). Compassion means hardly anything mate. Pretty much all applicants have that across all 4, put more detail about your UMS :P

Nice, I updated my original post.
    But dunno if I qualify as a nerd with my UMS, check my scores on my post above. Like I got 99 in C2 and full UMS in G482 (Physics). My Computing was strong, but my Further Maths ruined it 80 for M2.

ReputationRep:
    But dunno if I qualify as a nerd with my UMS, check my scores on my post above. Like I got 99 in C2 and full UMS in G482 (Physics). My Computing was strong, but my Further Maths ruined it 80 for M2.
    Yeah M2 was horrendous, no idea why my school made us do that at AS. Everyone doing M2 early (at AS) should get some leniency with it, it was so much harder than every other module.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah M2 was horrendous, no idea why my school made us do that at AS. Everyone doing M2 early (at AS) should get some leniency with it, it was so much harder than every other module.
    To be honest, M2 was bad. In M1 though, I flopped on the last question; I did a small silly mistake (friction going up instead of down) on the last question which cost me up to 11 marks. C3 was alright, not what I aimed for, retaking it so.. C1 was a shock. First exam and it shocked me. So I had to revise for C2 and I did well. FP1 was meh.. I thought I failed but it was alright.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, M2 was bad. In M1 though, I flopped on the last question; I did a small silly mistake (friction going up instead of down) on the last question which cost me up to 11 marks. C3 was alright, not what I aimed for, retaking it so.. C1 was a shock. First exam and it shocked me. So I had to revise for C2 and I did well. FP1 was meh.. I thought I failed but it was alright.
    If you don't mind me asking, what were your individual module scores? Just hearing the "87.5" isn't very representative, as Mechanics is sort of useless for Computer Science yet 1/3 of my important modules were Mechanics last year, so I was wondering it they've screwed you over too xD

ReputationRep:
    College: Trinity
    Subjects: Maths, FM, Physics, Electronics
    Grades: A*, n/a, A, A

Maths & FM Average UMS Combined: 93.7% iirc
    Average UMS of other subjects: Physics - 90%, Electronics - 99%

May as well post here :P

Good luck to us all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duskstar)
    College: Trinity
    Subjects: Maths, FM, Physics, Electronics
    Grades: A*, n/a, A, A

Maths & FM Average UMS Combined: 93.7% iirc
    Average UMS of other subjects: Physics - 90%, Electronics - 99%

May as well post here :P

Good luck to us all!
    Good luck to you too! You seem to have solid grades, are you doing the whole AS/A2 of Further Maths this year? If so, just remember that you're the type of people that ruin the grade boundaries, and therefore UMS, of applicants doing it the harder way with Further Maths AS in Year 12... Just remember that :P Other than that, stay positive! xD

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to you too! You seem to have solid grades, are you doing the whole AS/A2 of Further Maths this year? If so, just remember that you're the type of people that ruin the grade boundaries, and therefore UMS, of applicants doing it the harder way with Further Maths AS in Year 12... Just remember that :P Other than that, stay positive! xD
    Thanks! And yes I am, but remember that we did sit A2 Maths last year so it's not completely unfair :P

ReputationRep:
    If so, just remember that you're the type of people that ruin the grade boundaries, and therefore UMS, of applicants doing it the harder way with Further Maths AS in Year 12...
    Not really. The boundaries are set on the difficulty of the papers rather than a simple "top 20% get an A" rule. FP1 is an easy module (probably somewhere between C1 and C2), so I'd say that people doing C3/C4 in lower sixth probably have it tougher - although it allows you to get into FP2/FP3 quicker in the second year as you already have the prerequisite knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    College: Trinity College
    Subjects: Maths, Physics, Chemistry, AS Further Mathematics
    Grades: A A A
    Predicted Grades: A* A* A* A

Maths & FM Average UMS Combined: Not published in my country.
    Average UMS of other subjects: Not published in my country.

ReputationRep:
    @Duskstar great work on the stalking page. Judging from your grades and website, you just took one Trinity CompSci place away

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.