Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How much of an impact is Coursework to the final Grade? watch

ReputationRep:
    So Basically I got my History Controlled Assessment mark (OCR exam board afaik) on the Roaring Twenties. It was the first Controlled Assessment I've felt pure pressure and stress in and I got an A. However I'm an A* student in History and it is 25% of our actual grade in History. How much of an impact will this be on my grade assuming I get an A* on the other test papers and should I bother redoing the control assessment (I don't mind that much but its so much effort) or am I safe.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I did GCSE History and I was in the exact same situation. I got 3 A* and an A on my coursework but still gained an A* overall so if you are confident on getting an A* on the other test papers then you should be fine. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! on the one hand I'm fairly confident ( or cocky depending on who you ask) in my ability, yet we also have the opportunity to redo it (Until mid November) But To be honest my teacher is really difficult to deal with, so the less time around her the better (sad but what can you do) and it just seems like so much to do.

ReputationRep:
    No worries! I had the same opportunity to redo it but I just couldn't be bothered but it still worked out all okay, just do your best and i'm sure you will get the grade you are looking for !

ReputationRep:
    Well it depends on how high or low the A was though not much. You could need from just over 90% up to around 93.3% average over the rest of your papers (UMS that is).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    Well it depends on how high or low the A was though not much. You could need from just over 90% up to around 93.3% average over the rest of your papers (UMS that is).

What exactly do you mean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YSoSerious)
    What exactly do you mean
    I mean if you got just under an a* then you got almost 90%, so to make up the 90% average overall you need for a*, you need to average a tiny bit over 90% in the remaining modules. But if you got the lowest possible A, 80%, then that means you need a few more marks; the calculations seem to yield 93.3%... Sorry I might be being overly specific but I liked to know this sort of stuff at GCSE and A level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    I mean if you got just under an a* then you got almost 90%, so to make up the 90% average overall you need for a*, you need to average a tiny bit over 90% in the remaining modules. But if you got the lowest possible A, 80%, then that means you need a few more marks; the calculations seem to yield 93.3%... Sorry I might be being overly specific but I liked to know this sort of stuff at GCSE and A level
    No need to apologise I like to be really exact in what I got. I'll ask my teacher what kind of A I got (i.e. how many marks off an A*) and plan accordingly. The Only trouble is although our teacher isn't technically *cough* legally *cough* allowed to give us more time, she is but under the condition we redo the whole exam, we're not allowed to just tweak certain stuff to bump up our grade

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 20, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.