Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

applying to aerospace and mechanical watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I would like to know if it would be possible to apply to aerospace engineering at one university and mechanical at another and if it is, does anyone have any personal statement advice? this is stressing me out quite a lot and I thought it might be a good idea to get some advice so any is appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I did the same but haven't had any decisions so I'll just keep watch of this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Hmm I did the same but haven't had any decisions so I'll just keep watch of this thread.
    how have you structured your personal statement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alecbritton)
    how have you structured your personal statement?
    Can't really say how it's structured, but it contains why I like the course, some experience in engineering, and what I hope to do in the future

ReputationRep:
    Can't really say how it's structured, but it contains why I like the course, some experience in engineering, and what I hope to do in the future
    but like have you talked about aerospace/mechanical more or talked about both of them, thats what i can't figure out how to do

ReputationRep:
    but like have you talked about aerospace/mechanical more or talked about both of them, thats what i can't figure out how to do
    Left mine as purely Aerospace. I'd rather have a good go at 4 than a mediocre go at 5.

In hindsight, I regret applying for two courses like that. Stick to 1 if you can

ReputationRep:
    Left mine as purely Aerospace. I'd rather have a good go at 4 than a mediocre go at 5.

In hindsight, I regret applying for two courses like that. Stick to 1 if you can
    yeah i considered that but i really cant figure out which one to choose, did you get an offer for mechanical?

ReputationRep:
    yeah i considered that but i really cant figure out which one to choose, did you get an offer for mechanical?
    Got 0 decisions thus far. I'll let you know if I get it. I've asked around though and apparently I'm very unlikely to get it so

ReputationRep:
    Got 0 decisions thus far. I'll let you know if I get it. I've asked around though and apparently I'm very unlikely to get it so
    good luck haha, im trying to implement both disciplines into my personal statement but it seems a herculean task!

ReputationRep:
    good luck haha, im trying to implement both disciplines into my personal statement but it seems a herculean task!
    Thanks. Honestly man, it is a herculean task to do it AND do it well. I wouldn't recommend doing it because most likely, it'll end up decreasing the quality of your PS. Is there no other Aero course you can find?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. Honestly man, it is a herculean task to do it AND do it well. I wouldn't recommend doing it because most likely, it'll end up decreasing the quality of your PS. Is there no other Aero course you can find?
    my main reason for choosing both is i want to pick unis that will give me a range of offers, and if i dont do very well im not sure i want to be doing aerospace engineering as it is alot harder, so i thought mechanical would be an easier alternative

ReputationRep:
    For anyone who stumbles across this thread later, thought I'd give an update to say I did get my offers at both aero and mechanical unis with a completely aerospace based PS. This might be because the Mechanical uni I applied to (UCL) isn't ranked very high, but it is possible. So you can interpret that how you wish

ReputationRep:
    why don;t you write a different personal statement for each course if that is possible. Taylor is to the course you are applying for,

I am doing a general engineering undergrad degree but when I go on to do my masters I'll have to pick mechanical or aerospace.

please let me know how you get on.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by mrnace)
    why don;t you write a different personal statement for each course if that is possible. Taylor is to the course you are applying for,

I am doing a general engineering undergrad degree but when I go on to do my masters I'll have to pick mechanical or aerospace.

please let me know how you get on.
    You can only have one personal statement on UCAS and it is sent to all 5 choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would like to know if it would be possible to apply to aerospace engineering at one university and mechanical at another and if it is, does anyone have any personal statement advice? this is stressing me out quite a lot and I thought it might be a good idea to get some advice so any is appreciated!
    Why bother applying to mechanical in the first place? Is it because some of the uni's dont offer aero?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It's a personal statement, unless you're applying to Oxbridge or Imperial no one will care if you write it for aerospace and apply to mechanical.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    It's a personal statement, unless you're applying to Oxbridge or Imperial no one will care if you write it for aerospace and apply to mechanical.
    And Oxbridge won't care because their's is general to start anyway

And Cambridge allows you to provide an extra PS in their SAQ

ReputationRep:
    I applied for both aero and mech eng - using an aero PS. I didn't specify that aero was the degree I was going for, but rather used aero-based examples.I received offers for both subjects.

my main reason for choosing both is i want to pick unis that will give me a range of offers, and if i dont do very well im not sure i want to be doing aerospace engineering as it is alot harder, so i thought mechanical would be an easier alternative
    Just another thing - don't underestimate the mech eng course! I know a few people doing it and their work is as challenging as mine atm. No engineering subject is going to be easy. Expect a lot of work!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 3, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.