Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

A-Level History Essay Help watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm struggling on an introduction for my essay. The question is: To what extent did the failures of the English government in the years 1625-1642 arise from a lack of money?

Any additional information I should include throughout my essay would also be greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    The best essays are basically just a constant debate. However, I'd be careful with that as you don't want to sound too conversational. Throughout the essay, in EVERY paragraph refer back to the question and explain/evaluate your points CLEARLY. The worst mistake I've done in my History essay is just making things seem over complicated so I've learnt how to explain things clearly. I would advise to completely study the material and get a LOT of own knowledge and CONTEXT in there to gain a better understanding otherwise you can't make an intelligent judgement. In the "to what extent" essays, i tend to always say it changed to a moderate extent/ to a reasonable degree... etc, as I'm usually stuck in the middle. But you'll be fine, don't sweat it. The introduction should give the reader (teacher) a feel of what you're going to be discussing. Seeing as you're doing A level now not GCSE the "I will be discussing in this essay blah blah" will simply not suffice. Just try your best and really work with what your teachers feedback.I don't know if you'd appreciate a structure but I usually do the Point Evidence Explanation Link thing. Have CLEAR points on the failures. I would give you more info but I'm not doing those topics, sorry. :'< but I'm sure you'll be fine, just be on it at all times (the course I mean)Let me know how it goes xD --> I'm pretty sure I haven't even answered your question yet xD. I would begin the essay with, " Throughout the years 1625- 1642 the English government experienced a _______________. [Ramble with two more sentences on context.] Then you could introduce the "multiple" failures (if there were) and briefly brush on the significance and impact of this on the government. DON'T GO OFF TOPIC, TALK ABOUT THE POLITICAL IMPACT... ONLY (if that's what you're supposed to do of course lmfao) The only reason why I say that is because I have a tendency of going off topic and wondering into the social and economical impacts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kokoloco)
    The best essays are basically just a constant debate. However, I'd be careful with that as you don't want to sound too conversational. Throughout the essay, in EVERY paragraph refer back to the question and explain/evaluate your points CLEARLY. The worst mistake I've done in my History essay is just making things seem over complicated so I've learnt how to explain things clearly. I would advise to completely study the material and get a LOT of own knowledge and CONTEXT in there to gain a better understanding otherwise you can't make an intelligent judgement. In the "to what extent" essays, i tend to always say it changed to a moderate extent/ to a reasonable degree... etc, as I'm usually stuck in the middle. But you'll be fine, don't sweat it. The introduction should give the reader (teacher) a feel of what you're going to be discussing. Seeing as you're doing A level now not GCSE the "I will be discussing in this essay blah blah" will simply not suffice. Just try your best and really work with what your teachers feedback.I don't know if you'd appreciate a structure but I usually do the Point Evidence Explanation Link thing. Have CLEAR points on the failures. I would give you more info but I'm not doing those topics, sorry. :'< but I'm sure you'll be fine, just be on it at all times (the course I mean)Let me know how it goes xD --> I'm pretty sure I haven't even answered your question yet xD. I would begin the essay with, " Throughout the years 1625- 1642 the English government experienced a _______________. [Ramble with two more sentences on context.] Then you could introduce the "multiple" failures (if there were) and briefly brush on the significance and impact of this on the government. DON'T GO OFF TOPIC, TALK ABOUT THE POLITICAL IMPACT... ONLY (if that's what you're supposed to do of course lmfao) The only reason why I say that is because I have a tendency of going off topic and wondering into the social and economical impacts.
    Thank you so much ! This has helped me more than you think ! Of course I will let you know on how it goes once I get my mark back after half term. Thank you once again and good luck in whatever it is you are studying or working on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danrad356)
    Thank you so much ! This has helped me more than you think ! Of course I will let you know on how it goes once I get my mark back after half term. Thank you once again and good luck in whatever it is you are studying or working on
    No worries, I'm happy to help. And thank you also, we got this history A level on lock dont you worry! xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kokoloco)
    No worries, I'm happy to help. And thank you also, we got this history A level on lock dont you worry! xD
    We have indeed!

ReputationRep:
    Insert Historiography, quote, fact/ this suggests that _______, this however can depend on a number of aspects such as, ___________, however at first the evidence points towards ____________.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danrad356)
    I'm struggling on an introduction for my essay. The question is: To what extent did the failures of the English government in the years 1625-1642 arise from a lack of money?

Any additional information I should include throughout my essay would also be greatly appreciated

Well I don't study this topic but try to headline the points in your essay in your introduction in an evaluative way.

So it might be like 'the failures of the English government between 1625-42 was mainly/largely because of a lack of money. Other important factors include [----],[----] and [-------], all of which had varying impacts on the government of the period.

My information may be wrong since I have never studied this period of history but I hope I was able to inspire an idea in some way!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 22, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.