Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So I'm having a lot of trouble deciding what to do at uni. The courses I'm interested in would be fine art/ an art course, history of art and english lit/creative writing/american studies. Thing is, my personal statement is due in a few days and I need to decide what course I'm doing to make sure I look like a good applicant! (although I have nothing to write about myself except for working in a cafe so any suggestions please?) If I did art, I'd have to do a foundation course but so that would completely exclude some of the unis I'm interested in although some do offer an integrated foundation course in the degree, would a foundation be worth it or is it better to just go straight into a three year course? Also, I'm struggling deciding between an art course which would give me practical work with a little bit of art history or art history which would be full on theory and history behind art rather than practical work. English subjects are also an option because I enjoy the subject and it probably has the most job opportunities than the other courses, but I am struggling the most in English at school so I'm not sure I would enjoy it at uni. I won't be able to get into any high grade uni, so does it matter if the unis I'm looking at aren't particularly high on the league tables? I really want to go to uni and I want to go far away (which a foundation course could refrain me from doing, depending if I went to a uni or a college for it, and I really don't want to go to a college). I have no idea what I want to do for a future career, something like being an artist or writer or working with galleries and museums, I definitely don't want to be a teacher which would be a common thing to come out of these courses. This is very long but I need help, please, it would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Hi liljbh, I'm sophie and I am a third year at the University of Chichester.

You've done a good job at narrowing down the different areas of study you would be interested in which is more than some. Don't panic!!
    You sound like you care a lot about your application, and I would never recommend leaving your UCAS application until the last minute - but remember - these decisions take time. I have friends who could not make a decision about where/what to apply for until the very last minute (which again I would not recommend), and sometimes these people are still lucky because that time was worth taking if it meant the right, and best decision making for them.
    Your personal statement is all about showing different aspects of you that make you a brilliant applicant.. you say it is 'due', is this a school/college deadline? Write a draft, but don't fret if it takes you a while to figure out what you need to include and what help you need to write your final glistening personal statement ready for submission!
    Nowadays, a degree offers a student skills and knowledge applicable across the board with employment - so never doubt yourself or a course because of its employment opportunities. Study what you love to do and you'll find ways in life to pursue it!
    Chichester offer a great Art Course and also a great History course... we are a smaller Uni but absolutely fantastic - don't worry about league tables or stats, ever University has something great to offer for you, you just have to figure out which one you can picture yourself at I have heard about different job prospects such as art therapy, and areas other than teaching if you wanted to find out more. Here is the link to our Open Day dates: http://www.chi.ac.uk/study-us-0/open...open-days-2015 but there will be more in 2016. Here is a link to some of the different Art Course info: http://www.chi.ac.uk/search/course-s...fulltext=Art&f[0]=field_course_type%3AUndergradua te

I think what you need to do is explore some University courses on UCAS, look through the websites of these University's read up on any course information they offer, look up when their open days are and see of you can attend any!!!! OPEN DAYS ARE THE BEST WAY TO GAGE WHERE YOU WANT TO BE AND WHAT YOU WANT TO DO

Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Sorry for the extremely late reply!! Thank you so much for your reply, it helped me a lot and motivated me to figure out what I wanted to do. I will be done soon with my personal statement and UCAS application, and from your words of advice I've decided to pursue what I love through an art degree, perhaps with a joint course. I will be attending an open day at bath spa uni this weekend, and I'm very keen to get my UCAS finished and hopefully get some offers!

Thanks again!
    Lily

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 1, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.