Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Going to Open Days alone in London. Is this a bad idea? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've booked a few open days for a couple of universities in London (for postgraduate study). However, a few things are starting to bug me. One, I'll be going alone. I don't have anybody who is available to come with me (or who wants to come). Two, I am a little bit concerned about going alone due to crime rates. I'm not talking about the actual universities, but the travelling/getting to and from them. I'm having people go on at me from every direction that I'm being risky, that the number of stabbings in London is very high, etc. While I know this isn't completely irrational, as crime rates are generally higher in London than elsewhere, I'm getting a bit pissed off that people are worried about me going alone yet no-one wants to even come with me.

Is it really irrational to be worrying like this? One of the Open Days is City University in Islington, the other is Goldsmith's in Lewisham. It'd be nice to get feedback from current or previous students of these universities so I know exactly what the surrounding areas are like. This is no offence intended for anyone who lives in these areas, I'm just getting agitated that people are more or less putting me off visiting or attending these places, especially as I'll be commuting (I live in Essex).

ReputationRep:
    You tell 'em, "I'm at risk cos you won't come too"
    Guilt trips - nice

ReputationRep:
    Guilt tripping doesn't get anyone anywhere...

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I think you'll be okay Transport in London is generally quite safe, even if the crime rate is "above average". If it'd make you feel better, could you ask a friend to come?

ReputationRep:
    There are more students in London than any other city and honestly most of us will never get stabbed! I actually find London feels very safe even at night as there are so many people around. It is probably preferable to go alone on open days and to be independent, at least that way you know you can hack it alone.

ReputationRep:
    I went to a couple of open days in London alone (I live in Manchester) and it was fine, the fact it was an open day means loads of other prospective students are around the university and the surrounding areas, so you're not really alone. As long as you're only there during the day I can't see why it would be more dangerous than shopping in your local city alone.

ReputationRep:
    LMAO your not going to get stabbed or attacked, how ridiculous. Me and a friend went to East London for two open days, one in Camberwell and the next day in Chelsea and stayed in a hotel overnight (and we were 16 & 17) and we were totally fine. Just plan where your going, such as buses and where to get them or get just a taxi everywhere if you can afford it. I've also lived in East London for a month and the only stabbing I got was self inflicted: cutting my hand with a glass I broke when I was drunk.

Your going to have to live there remember, so don't be afraid to go there.

How are you planning to study in London if you're scared to walk alone out and about??
    No ones going to stab you lets be real for a sec

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucymellor)
    I went to a couple of open days in London alone (I live in Manchester) and it was fine, the fact it was an open day means loads of other prospective students are around the university and the surrounding areas, so you're not really alone. As long as you're only there during the day I can't see why it would be more dangerous than shopping in your local city alone.
    Both open days are in the evening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jabberwox)
    Both open days are in the evening.
    You'll still be surrounded by many other students, and it's still not that much different to you going for a walk in your home city in the evening.

ReputationRep:
    loads of people go alone

and for safety plan your journey before you go but honestly should be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RonnieRJ)
    How are you planning to study in London if you're scared to walk alone out and about??
    No ones going to stab you lets be real for a sec
    Lol I actually welcome people telling me it's irrational. I'm fed up with parents saying things like ''Oh someone got randomly stabbed in Islington only the other day... bla bla..." to try and put me off going.

Lol I actually welcome people telling me it's irrational. I'm fed up with parents saying things like ''Oh someone got randomly stabbed in Islington only the other day... bla bla..." to try and put me off going.
    Yeah honestly don't listen to those sort of things. You should feel safe wherever you live. Obv be smart and don't go into small dodgy roads but just being out and about in those areas you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    go bowling alone

ReputationRep:
    I've lived here my whole life and i've never been stabbed or mugged. Just avoid the really ****ty areas, not like anyone would go there willingly anyway

ReputationRep:
    OP this is not London unless you go to Peckham or somewhere haha

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine.
    London is wonderful.
    I love it and I've known it all my life (lived in central Islington for years) and I go for long walks in the dark by myself there.
    It's very safe because it's very busy.

Enjoy it:banana:

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I think you should go to the open days alone, you'll be fine. Try and enjoy the experience. I'll be moving to London soon and am worried about safety, but I don't think that's so much about it being London, but about being in unfamiliar surroundings. Crime happens everywhere, so try to not let it bother you. If you don't go to the open days, you'd most probably regret it. (I know I would). I went off to London a few weeks on a couple of separate occasions, and was too nervous/excited about the assessments/interviews to worry about things like being unsafe etc. Hopefully you will be too excited to worry. Try and explain how you're feeling to the people making negative points. They may be trying to help you, but it's your life and you should live it how you want to, and if you make mistakes you can learn from them. Plan your journeys. I go to London on the train every now and again to go shopping alone or meet friends, and writing directions and which Underground lines to take, helpful and reassuring. Hope this helps x

ReputationRep:
    Guilt tripping doesn't get anyone anywhere...
    suit yerself

ReputationRep:
    I've booked a few open days for a couple of universities in London (for postgraduate study). However, a few things are starting to bug me. One, I'll be going alone. I don't have anybody who is available to come with me (or who wants to come). Two, I am a little bit concerned about going alone due to crime rates. I'm not talking about the actual universities, but the travelling/getting to and from them. I'm having people go on at me from every direction that I'm being risky, that the number of stabbings in London is very high, etc. While I know this isn't completely irrational, as crime rates are generally higher in London than elsewhere, I'm getting a bit pissed off that people are worried about me going alone yet no-one wants to even come with me.

Is it really irrational to be worrying like this? One of the Open Days is City University in Islington, the other is Goldsmith's in Lewisham. It'd be nice to get feedback from current or previous students of these universities so I know exactly what the surrounding areas are like. This is no offence intended for anyone who lives in these areas, I'm just getting agitated that people are more or less putting me off visiting or attending these places, especially as I'll be commuting (I live in Essex).

Keep your wits about you, plan your routes and look confident.
    Keep on the main roads and stay in busy places.
    Keep valuables out of sight, don't wear anything too flashy.
    Distribute your things around your person ie keep your oyster card seperate from your money etc so if one goes not all goes.
    Get in and get out quckly.

Only kidding with the last one, you should be fine the same rules apply anywhere.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.