Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey dudes

I was wondering if there are many offshore jobs for chemical engineers? I just applied for chemical engineering and i would love to work offshore(not just the money, but the amount of free time seems awesome XD)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by wannabeoffshore)
    Hey dudes

I was wondering if there are many offshore jobs for chemical engineers? I just applied for chemical engineering and i would love to work offshore(not just the money, but the amount of free time seems awesome XD)
    Very few. Vast majority of chemical engineering graduates work onshore, like the others.

ReputationRep:
    hmm..what are the salaries and conditions like on shore? plus what type kind of engineering would be suitable for offshore? would something like Surrey's chemical and petroleum engineering be a good shot?

edit; would a chemical engineering degree be sufficient for subsea engineer role?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Salaries and conditions onshore are good, Google for more info.

I'm not really the person to ask about offshore, since I'm onshore based and have never been offshore, but all disciplines can go offshore; it depends on the scope of their job. If you're aiming to work offshore then I would recommend an apprenticeship over a degree, though.

To get into subsea you generally need a mechanical or civil based degree. Chemical engineering is only really relevant to a very small subsection of the wider subsea sector, namely dealing with the fluid flow through the pipelines/pipes.

ReputationRep:
    If your main driver is to actually get an offshore lifestyle, then you need to think very carefully about what job you aim for. Very few chemical engineers work offshore. In my experience the offshore crews consisted mostly of the hands on trades workers (riggers, scaffolders, welders, fabricators, electricians etc.). The engineers, project managers and general vessel/platform managers make up a far smaller proportion of the overall team.

If you're determined to go down the degree route, I'm guessing subsea engineering in some capacity (or mechanical then a subsea masters) but I'm not 100% on this and you definitely need to do some independent research here by speaking to employers and asking what they prefer, or speaking to current offshore workers with jobs you'd like to have in future.

I accidentally ended up in the subsea industry with a mechanical engineering degree, and although I went offshore a few times to have made it a more regular thing I'd have had to gone down the more project manager/project engineer route (less technical, more logistical). The vast majority of people who work offshore permanently haven't gone through a degree route, although I can only speak for subsea construction rather than oil/gas drilling.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.