Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why do women get slut shamed in the first place? watch

ReputationRep:
    ...And men don't? I'm pretty sure that a lot of us have internalised (I used to) the idea that women can't sleep around and men can- but where did it all stem from? why is it socially acceptable for a guy to sleep with 20+ women and get a round of applause, but when a women does it she gets degraded and every single accomplishment she has done is vanished because of her sexual life.

Why is it like that in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    In before the lock and key bull**** that doesn't in any way justify degrading someone as a person purely for their sex life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    In before the lock and key bull**** that doesn't in any way justify degrading someone as a person purely for their sex life.
    The what? :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    The what? :s
    Equating penises and vaginas to locks and keys. Good keys open all locks, ****ty locks can be opened by any key. Very common saying, also complete *******s.

ReputationRep:
    Equating penises and vaginas to locks and keys. Good keys open all locks, ****ty locks can be opened by any key. Very common saying, also complete *******s.
    Clearly not that common

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Clearly not that common
    It's been spouted on every one of these threads on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    In my experience, girls slut shame other girls much more than guys ever do

Ladies have no sisterhood, some of you are savage

ReputationRep:
    It's been spouted on every one of these threads on TSR.
    Fortunately most of these threads aren't created in my sub-forums so I rarely delve into them. I expect the eejits who use sayings like that won't get far in life.

ReputationRep:
    Sexism.

ReputationRep:
    Girls do it to each other too. It's gross and highlights the double standards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Masih ad-Dajjal)

This is true

OP, it's because of sexism. Simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest;[url="tel:60068289")
    60068289[/url]]...And men don't? I'm pretty sure that a lot of us have internalised (I used to) the idea that women can't sleep around and men can- but where did it all stem from? why is it socially acceptable for a guy to sleep with 20+ women and get a round of applause, but when a women does it she gets degraded and every single accomplishment she has done is vanished because of her sexual life.

Why is it like that in the first place?
    Where do people get this idea men are praised because of their sex life? I must of missed that time my mum high fived me for banging some chick. Strangely most men don't go round sharing details about their sex lives with random people. Men that do are usually thought of as either liers or creeps.

People 'slut shame' because it's a pretty effective way to control girls and bring down their 'sexual value' and self-esteem. People also do it to men though. That girl who told everyone her ex has a small ****...yeah that's publicly Immasculating him to his peers and devaluing him to potential sexual partners. They're both examples of manipulating groups of people against an individual.

Women consider different things as desirable in potential relationships. Men and women see this and use different insults to offend and upset men. Where as a women would be upset to be called out on having a larger number of previous sexual partners, this isn't usually an undesirable quality in a boyfriend. Therefore people will typically pick up on male desirable/undesirable quality (size, stamina, skill, strength, looks etc) to offend and upset.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Masih ad-Dajjal)

i used to think this, but honest to God so many guys are hypocrites. I know so many men that have slept with at least 10 women but want a girlfriend that has slept with nothing more than 5, and if she has then the guy shames her. It is extremely sexist and disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    It stems from a biological principle from thousands of years ago when we were just savages: men are biologically programmed to want to sleep with as many people as possible in order to spread their genes and ensure continuation of their family line. Women would rather have 1 sexual partner because they took the responsibility for childcare and didn't want loads of kids to look after. These days it's outdated of course due to us evolving to think past simple reflexes and the availability of contraception.

ReputationRep:
    The average man doesn't slut shame; it's usually girls slut shaming other girls. If a man's slut shaming, then he's probably jealous because those 'sluts' would rather sleep with other men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gherk)
    The average man doesn't slut shame; it's usually girls slut shaming other girls. If a man's slut shaming, then he's probably jealous because those 'sluts' would rather sleep with other men.
    I am not sure if this is totally accurate because I know some guys that slut shame more than girls tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leeds98)
    Where do people get this idea men are praised because of their sex life? I must of missed that time my mum high fived me for banging some chick. Strangely most men don't go round sharing details about their sex lives with random people. Men that do are usually thought of as either liers or creeps.

People 'slut shame' because it's a pretty effective way to control girls and bring down their 'sexual value' and self-esteem. People also do it to men though. That girl who told everyone her ex has a small ****...yeah that's publicly Immasculating him to his peers and devaluing him to potential sexual partners. They're both examples of manipulating groups of people against an individual.

Women consider different things as desirable in potential relationships. Men and women see this and use different insults to offend and upset men. Where as a women would be upset to be called out on having a larger number of previous sexual partners, this isn't usually an undesirable quality in a boyfriend. Therefore people will typically pick up on male desirable/undesirable quality (size, stamina, skill, strength, looks etc) to offend and upset.
    sigh, my point is that I've heard and seen guys brag about having sex with some girls they find attractive and having one night stands and although they don't get high fived for it, they do get some sort of 'well done'kind of support. Yes alot of guys talk about their sex lives because i've heard it (nothing wrong with talking about your sexual experiences) but what is wrong is when a girl gets belittled for doing the same thing. What is the difference?! A girl telling a guy he has a small **** is not alut shaming. It is rude and shouldn't be said but it is definately not slut shaming. Guys do not get slut shamed because it is not insulting for a guy to have a number of sexual partners, hence why they are praised for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    I am not sure if this is totally accurate because I know some guys that slut shame more than girls tbh.
    And do they get much action?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gherk)
    And do they get much action?
    not really tbh. so yes you have made a fair point loool

ReputationRep:
    Biology.

Quote taken from another thread: 'woman with a lot of sexual partners can be view as having low standards because she is unable to judge who is actually a quality mate'

Men intuitively must understand women are loose cannons who will hop on a random **** if she perceives that guy as being superior. In order to prevent some random guys seminal fluid being ejaculated into his wife/girlfriend/partner/etc the idea that loose women are disgusting must be ingrained in them in order to prevent this from happening.
    If a woman has a child; it is nine months of of pregnancy for her. If a man raises another man's child, it is a lifetime of humiliation and evolutionary defeat

Personally I love a good slut.. A good slut knows she's a slut .. And will tell you she's a slut .. So there's no confusion, no deception and you put on a condom and take her for a ride..What I don't like is a slut who acts like a good decent woman, who lies and decieves her way into a good man's heart, cheats and lies and ****s men over. That's what I shame.. Women who cheat and lie and generally lack in morality..

"Slut shaming" is a vague phrase born out of feminism. I'm never quite sure what the **** they mean by it..I find other feminist lingo vague or just a poor use if the English language.... I think it was established quite recently that slut shaming is mainly a female-on-female issue. They use it as a way to improve their own ranking in the hirachy. A slut is no threat to men as long as you don't marry her.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.