Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Best video camcorder? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Im looking for a camcorder with a budget of £100-£200, that's easy to use, simple to transfer to a computer for editing, and has good recording quality. Got a lapel microphone that will be hoping to use for audio also.

Recommendations please!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    Im looking for a camcorder with a budget of £100-£200, that's easy to use, simple to transfer to a computer for editing, and has good recording quality. Got a lapel microphone that will be hoping to use for audio also.

Recommendations please!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Low end camcorders have been pretty much cannibalised by similarly priced stills-orientwd cameras, now that their niche of being able to offer HD video recording has evaporated. You may find a standard P&S/bridge camera, or even a second hand DSLR, could be more suitable.

What features are priorities for you? Do you need a huge zoom range or is it just close up filming you'll be doing? Does your mic have a wireless receiver you wish to plug into the camera, or do you just plan to sync the separately recorded audio up on the computer? If you can provide some of that info we can make some suggestions :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre;60070427
    What features are priorities for you? Do you need a huge zoom range or is it just close up filming you'll be doing? Does your mic have a wireless receiver you wish to plug into the camera, or do you just plan to sync the separately recorded audio up on the computer? If you can provide some of that info we can make some suggestions [s
    )

yy[/s]
    I think we will be using it for close up (chest upward shots) for interview segments and possibly for any events we did. The mic does have a wireless receiver but I'd assumed I'd be fine in just plugging the mic lead into the microphone area in the camera to get audio?

Also, we'd be looking for a camera that allows us to attach it to a tripod (any suggestions appreciated) and info on warranty would be great.

ReputationRep:
    I think we will be using it for close up (chest upward shots) for interview segments and possibly for any events we did.
    In that I case I would recommend looking into used DSLRs, they have much larger sensors which mean better image quality and better low light performance, and most DSLRs from the last 4 years will shoot 1080p video. The usual caveat of a DSLR vs a conventional camcorder is the lack of huge zoom range, but for interview/event recording the standard "kit lens" DSLRs come with will be absolutely fine. The Nikon D3200 with 18-55mm lens only costs about £270 new these days, so getting one for around your upper budget of £200 shouldn't be a huge issue.

The mic does have a wireless receiver but I'd assumed I'd be fine in just plugging the mic lead into the microphone area in the camera to get audio?
    It's just a case of making sure the camera actually has a microphone input, which aren't as common in consumer-oriented products.

Also, we'd be looking for a camera that allows us to attach it to a tripod (any suggestions appreciated) and info on warranty would be great.
    Just do a Google search for "[camera name] tripod thread" for any cameras you look at and you should be able to find out if it can be mounted directly onto a tripod. All DSLRs will support tripods, as will most bridge cameras and point-and-shoots. I don't know how common this is for traditional camcorders though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    In that I case I would recommend looking into used DSLRs, they have much larger sensors which mean better image quality and better low light performance, and most DSLRs from the last 4 years will shoot 1080p video. The usual caveat of a DSLR vs a conventional camcorder is the lack of huge zoom range, but for interview/event recording the standard "kit lens" DSLRs come with will be absolutely fine. The Nikon D3200 with 18-55mm lens only costs about £270 new these days, so getting one for around your upper budget of £200 shouldn't be a huge issue.

It's just a case of making sure the camera actually has a microphone input, which aren't as common in consumer-oriented products.

Just do a Google search for "[camera name] tripod thread" for any cameras you look at and you should be able to find out if it can be mounted directly onto a tripod. All DSLRs will support tripods, as will most bridge cameras and point-and-shoots. I don't know how common this is for traditional camcorders though.
    Will the DSLR be easy to transfer to a computer?

Slightly more comfortable using a camcorder to be honest - edging into unknown territories with a DSLR!

ReputationRep:
    Will the DSLR be easy to transfer to a computer?

Slightly more comfortable using a camcorder to be honest - edging into unknown territories with a DSLR!
    It records standard video files to a standard SD card, it's no more complicated to work with if all you want to do is take the footage and cut it. If recording quality is your priority then it really is the way to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    It records standard video files to a standard SD card, it's no more complicated to work with if all you want to do is take the footage and cut it. If recording quality is your priority then it really is the way to go.
    Looking at Argos (for work purposes, probably buy from here or Argos), might have to pay extra for an SD card. But ideally, wanting to go back to my boss with another two options (think this Nikon one might be too pricey for our budget!) so any other two you might recommend?

ReputationRep:
    Looking at Argos (for work purposes, probably buy from here or Argos), might have to pay extra for an SD card. But ideally, wanting to go back to my boss with another two options (think this Nikon one might be too pricey for our budget!) so any other two you might recommend?
    If £200 for a used D3200 is too pricey and you'd rather have a camcorder, most bog standard camcorders will be roughly similar with bog standard page quality. Just look for image stabilisation for steady footage and make sure it has a mic input.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.