Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying from California using APs and SATs and I recently received a request from Warwick for grade predictions despite the fact that we dont do that. Even after I thoroughly explained why we don't do that and that the AP scores I already have arent any different than the ones I'm taking this year apart from the subject, they still reiterated their request before saying that if I can't provide predictions that I need to have my counselor confirm that the scores I've achieved are valid predictors of my potential. While they seem to be allowing me to not provide predictions, it sounds like they don't understand that it just isn't something that happens in the American system and that I will be at a disadvantage.

Have any other Americans had to deal with this and still received offers? The one former student from my school that applied to Warwick two years ago was rejected and she thinks it was because of this.

ReputationRep:
    Will your school counsellor really not predict what your final results are most likely to be for the purposes of your application? They can use your existing scores +/- evidence of subsequent performance when making their prediction. Even if this isn't something that they routinely do, it's hard to believe that they couldn't do it if asked....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonteCristo)
    Will your school counsellor really not predict what your final results are most likely to be for the purposes of your application? They can use your existing scores +/- evidence of subsequent performance when making their prediction. Even if this isn't something that they routinely do, it's hard to believe that they couldn't do it if asked....
    You arent American are you? Because with our system with a lot of classes I have never done something like it. Its not like each year compounds on previous knowledge once you get to the last 3 or 4 grades. For example I took European History two years ago and US History last year. In math I took Trigonometry last year but Statistics this year. I already have a 4 and a 5 from AP tests plus two SAT subject tests over 700 and one over 650 and those are all for things that Im no longer studying. Warwick states that they want applicants with at least 3 AP/SAT subject tests in this range, plus an SAT score of at least 1900 (mine is 2020). So far with unis like Durham they gave me a conditional offer saying I just need to get one more 5 in any subject and they never mentioned predictions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nfthakar)
    You arent American are you? Because with our system with a lot of classes I have never done something like it. Its not like each year compounds on previous knowledge once you get to the last 3 or 4 grades. For example I took European History two years ago and US History last year. In math I took Trigonometry last year but Statistics this year. I already have a 4 and a 5 from AP tests plus two SAT subject tests over 700 and one over 650 and those are all for things that Im no longer studying. Warwick states that they want applicants with at least 3 AP/SAT subject tests in this range, plus an SAT score of at least 1900 (mine is 2020). So far with unis like Durham they gave me a conditional offer saying I just need to get one more 5 in any subject and they never mentioned predictions.
    Hey man, just send them your progress report or something. UK won't understand the way it's done in California, because theyre different education systems. Worst comes to worst, ask the counselor to approve on grades you have this semester ( or last semester) and send those off. there's nothing else you really can do, because that system doesn't exist. Where are you from just out of curiosity? Cypress represent!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spv)
    Hey man, just send them your progress report or something. UK won't understand the way it's done in California, because theyre different education systems. Worst comes to worst, ask the counselor to approve on grades you have this semester ( or last semester) and send those off. there's nothing else you really can do, because that system doesn't exist. Where are you from just out of curiosity? Cypress represent!
    I'm from the east bay area. And there are no progress reports since they just care about APs and SATs (which helps me anyway). Plus none of the other unis are having the same issue, they all seem to realize the differences in the two systems

ReputationRep:
    No but I still don't see why this should be an obstacle unless your school was being obstructive. Predicted grades are a pretty meaningless exercise in the UK as well. Sometimes teachers use AS-level results (scores after the first year of the two-year A-level programme) but most of the time they just predict students whatever they need to apply to a certain programme. It really is just a way of asking your referee to quantify your estimated ability on a scale that can be understood by the university. It is also a way of stopping poor students from applying to courses that require A*A*A.

Your school might say that they can't do this because they don't have anything on which to base their prediction. However, they should understand that this is an administrative hurdle and predict whatever you need. It even sounds as if they have plenty of evidence of your ability to work with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonteCristo)
    No but I still don't see why this should be an obstacle unless your school was being obstructive. Predicted grades are a pretty meaningless exercise in the UK as well. Sometimes teachers use AS-level results (scores after the first year of the two-year A-level programme) but most of the time they just predict students whatever they need to apply to a certain programme. It really is just a way of asking your referee to quantify your estimated ability on a scale that can be understood by the university. It is also a way of stopping poor students from applying to courses that require A*A*A.

Your school might say that they can't do this because they don't have anything on which to base their prediction. However, they should understand that this is an administrative hurdle and predict whatever you need. It even sounds as if they have plenty of evidence of your ability to work with.
    My counselor ended up saying earlier today that the grades I have (which more than meet the Warwick requirement) are indicitive of my future potential as they are equivalent in difficulty to the courses I'm taking this year. In fact, my cousin who goes to a different school is taking a class I took last year this year and I am taking a class he took last year because there is no national standardization of what year you take each subject

ReputationRep:
    Okay - that sounds like a pragmatic solution.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    My counselor ended up saying earlier today that the grades I have (which more than meet the Warwick requirement) are indicitive of my future potential as they are equivalent in difficulty to the courses I'm taking this year. In fact, my cousin who goes to a different school is taking a class I took last year this year and I am taking a class he took last year because there is no national standardization of what year you take each subject
    It really is just a matter of getting your counselor to state '5 for AP USH or whatever subjects you're doing', I don't see why it's such a big deal...

All my American friends have gotten their guidance counselors to predict the scores for the exams they'll be taking next year - yours should too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.