The Student Room Group

Extenuating circumstances?

Hi,
I have just recieved my doctors note for my extenuating circumstances which has resulted in me resitting my A2's.
How do I go about sending this note to the uni's? Do I have to fill out an ECF form?
I'm applying to Nottingham, Birmingham, Kings, LSE and Warwick. I can't seem to find any info on how to go about it :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by M_xxx113
Hi,
I have just recieved my doctors note for my extenuating circumstances which has resulted in me resitting my A2's.
How do I go about sending this note to the uni's? Do I have to fill out an ECF form?
I'm applying to Nottingham, Birmingham, Kings, LSE and Warwick. I can't seem to find any info on how to go about it :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Warwick say:
What happens if I become ill during my exams?If you become ill before or during your examinations, or you face any other serious difficulties during the examination period please let us know, ideally via a letter from your school or college to the Undergraduate Admissions Team. If we receive this information before the results come out, we will be able to advise the Course Selectors of your circumstances and they will then take this information into account when reaching a final decision. However, if an exam board makes allowances for extenuating circumstances in the grade(s) awarded to you, it is unlikely that further allowances will be made by Warwick.

https://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/next/otherfaqs/
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi,

Posted from TSR Mobile

UCAS say:
"Changes to exams and courses
Let us know at [email protected] (link sends e-mail) straight away if any of your exam details change let your universities/colleges know too.

That's anything from exam subjects, modules or units to awarding/examining bodies and centre numbers but not new results. More about your results (including resits).

Conditional offers are usually based on exam details, so these changes might affect offers or decisions.

It's important to tell us, as it could delay the processing of your exam results if you don't. If your results can't be confirmed, you might not get your place.

If anything affects your results, write as soon as possible to each university/college that's considering your application. Explain the situation and include a supporting letter from your school, college or centre, as well as your doctor if it's medical."

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/track-your-application/making-changes

I suggest you contact UCAS to check the best way to go about notifying the universities. If you haven't sent off the application form, then it is probably best (but check with UCAS) for the referee to cover it in their reference.

If you have already sent off your UCAS application, then you will need to contact each university separately - again, UCAS can probably point you in the right direction.
Hi,

Posted from TSR Mobile

I sent a form to Kings before I applied, here's the link:
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/ug/admissions/Policies-and-Guidance/Mitigating-Circumstances.aspx

The document is near the bottom of the page just above the FAQs. I filled my section out and asked my Head of Sixth Form to fill out the second section and sent it off with a letter from my GP. I had to phone up admissions first to let them know I was sending it before I applied (wouldn't want to apply if I knew they wouldn't allow me to resit even with mitigating circumstances) and I was on hold for a few minutes as they had to ask a couple of people before they said it was okay to do so, and then again after I'd filled out the form to make sure it got sent off to the board quickly. I can't help with the other universities, but best of luck x
Reply 4
Original post by Holmstock
UCAS say:
"Changes to exams and courses
Let us know at [email protected] (link sends e-mail) straight away if any of your exam details change let your universities/colleges know too.

That's anything from exam subjects, modules or units to awarding/examining bodies and centre numbers but not new results. More about your results (including resits).

Conditional offers are usually based on exam details, so these changes might affect offers or decisions.

It's important to tell us, as it could delay the processing of your exam results if you don't. If your results can't be confirmed, you might not get your place.

If anything affects your results, write as soon as possible to each university/college that's considering your application. Explain the situation and include a supporting letter from your school, college or centre, as well as your doctor if it's medical."

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/track-your-application/making-changes

I suggest you contact UCAS to check the best way to go about notifying the universities. If you haven't sent off the application form, then it is probably best (but check with UCAS) for the referee to cover it in their reference.

If you have already sent off your UCAS application, then you will need to contact each university separately - again, UCAS can probably point you in the right direction.

Hi,
I'll give UCAS a ring tommorrow. I feel as if my referee won't provide the uni's with a full extent of my problems so I'd prefer to send the uni's a copy of the doctors note. Thanks for your help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by yasaminO_o
I sent a form to Kings before I applied, here's the link:
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/ug/admissions/Policies-and-Guidance/Mitigating-Circumstances.aspx

The document is near the bottom of the page just above the FAQs. I filled my section out and asked my Head of Sixth Form to fill out the second section and sent it off with a letter from my GP. I had to phone up admissions first to let them know I was sending it before I applied (wouldn't want to apply if I knew they wouldn't allow me to resit even with mitigating circumstances) and I was on hold for a few minutes as they had to ask a couple of people before they said it was okay to do so, and then again after I'd filled out the form to make sure it got sent off to the board quickly. I can't help with the other universities, but best of luck x

Aaaah I must have missed it. My heads all over the place lol..did you provide the other uni's you had applied to a copy of your GP's note?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aaaah I must have missed it. My heads all over the place lol..did you provide the other uni's you had applied to a copy of your GP's note?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know the feeling omg haha. For Imperial and Barts I had to write a formal letter requesting consideration of extenuating circumstances - Imperial accepted my circumstances, Barts didn't which was annoying bc they were my firm last year. I emailed Manchester asking about it and they told me to ask a teacher to put it in my reference and they'd ask for medical evidence later, and Exeter don't mind resits so luckily I didn't have to do anything for them lol
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi,

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've found something on Nottingham FAQ here (if it is medicine you are applying for?):
"I don’t meet the grade requirements because I was unwell around the exams, will I still be considered? You should notify your school or college of any extenuating circumstances so that the exam boards can be informed and consider the circumstances when grading the exam papers. We are unable to consider extenuating circumstances retrospectively. If you have extenuating circumstances while you are holding an offer to study medicine at our University, you must provide details to us as well as the Examination Board. NB if you have a serious ongoing illness which has affected your school performance, then you should contact [email protected] with more information and we will assess individually.
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/medicine/study/medicine/faq/a100faq.aspx "

(Further up, they say that they do not accept resits:
"Do you accept re-sits? We will accept up to one module re-sit for every subject you are taking to full A-level, providing the re-sit is taken within the two years you are studying A-levels. The module you wish to re-sit can be an AS or A2 module. Can I re-sit modules after I have completed my A-levels? No, once A-levels have been certificated, we will not accept any module re-sits."

so probably best to confirm direct with them ?)
Reply 8
I know the feeling omg haha. For Imperial and Barts I had to write a formal letter requesting consideration of extenuating circumstances - Imperial accepted my circumstances, Barts didn't which was annoying bc they were my firm last year. I emailed Manchester asking about it and they told me to ask a teacher to put it in my reference and they'd ask for medical evidence later, and Exeter don't mind resits so luckily I didn't have to do anything for them lol

Ooh okay. Did you call up each uni individually beforehand to ask how to go about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ooh okay. Did you call up each uni individually beforehand to ask how to go about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I phoned up and explained my situation and they told me what to do :smile:
Reply 10
Yeah, I phoned up and explained my situation and they told me what to do :smile:

I'll do that tommorrow, thank you so much for your help :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll do that tommorrow, thank you so much for your help :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem, good luck! x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending