RPAS Pilot - Deployable/Entry difficulty? Watch

jamb97
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have recently become interested in becoming an RPAS Pilot in the RAF and was wondering: is there any possibility of them being deployed overseas/in a combat zone, and if not could that change? (I think they only work from one of 2 bases in the UK and USA, but somebody told me *all* members can be deployed so I wasn't sure).

Is it difficult to get into this position? I don't know tons about the RAF right now, but I am planning to do a lot of research while I am doing my degree. I will likely apply with A levels of grades ABB in bio, maths and english, a 1st or 2:1 degree in bioscience and I have pretty good fitness and strength (I don't know if being more academically inclined/merited or having better fitness helps, or how competitive such a position is).

Thanks
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Every officer position in the RAF is highly competitive, especially ones that are directly related to flying.

To get in you have to be more than ok in everything.

As for deployability, yes, it has been a bit of a grey area for UAV pilots, but as the role has developed (remember, it's still pretty new) the deployment opportunities have increased. As an officer in the RAF you will be able to be sent anywhere.
Fritz Bollinger
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The main bases are in the US and UK. However, as weigh all military roles, there is a strong likelihood of an overseas deployment at some point, and RPAS is no different.

As for academics and fitness, if you meet the requirements, you meet them. Join the UAS when you get to uni. Talk to your careers office and if you mention RPAS they may be interested as it's quite a new branch.
Schleigg
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes you can be deployed. I met a good number of RPAS Operators when on detachment overseas. Don't think of it as sleeping in a hole and getting into firefights thought.
Bones21
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As an RPAS pilot you WILL get deployed overseas. Anyone who says that there is a lower chance of this happening is mistaken. It is also very competitive, as with any aircrew role.
AD2468
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Out of interest where could they be deployed to? If they can fly from within the UK then why would they be posted overseas?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (9)
8.82%
Disagree (5)
4.9%
Neither agree or disagree (32)
31.37%
Agree (40)
39.22%
Strongly Agree (16)
15.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise