Turn on thread page Beta

Should I do AS Art next year even though I can't really draw all that well..? watch

ReputationRep:
    Looking for some advice please!
    I've moved college this year and currently study AS History, AS English Literature and A2 English Language. I eventually want be a journalist in a culture and arts kind of scene.

I'm currently looking at studying combined honours at Newcastle, definitely doing Linguistics as it's what I enjoy the most (if I don't do combined honours I'll be studying that alone, as that was the original plan). For my other subjects in Combined honours I was looking at perhaps Media and Communication, and what I've found more interesting, History of Art.
    None of these require an Art A-Level and I know it's deemed by some universities as being a "mickey mouse" subject (I try not to read into this too much but it is something I consider), but as I'll only be doing 2 A-Levels next year having finished English Language, I was wondering if maybe taking it as an AS would be a good idea?

The trouble is I'm not a natural. I studied Art at school in my spare time and after school as an extra GCSE for around 6 months, but had to eventually drop it as I found it too much work alongside other subjects. I did pretty well, it just took me a bit longer to complete a task because I'm not naturally good at it. My thinking is that I'm good at writing and research so as long as I can wing the more creative side of it and do as best as I can, I still have a good shot at getting a good grade right? I think my Sixth Form will try and push me to take up another AS to fill a gap next year, but my options are very limited.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to then go for it! (Without being rude) a lot of what they look for is creativity and ideas, so not necessarily being supr skilled. One thing I would say though is that it's a LOT of work, like two years of GCSE in one year! It's fine if you love drawing/painting/creating, but if not you might struggle, so something to consider.

Don't forget, art isn't only drawing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kugelmugel)
    Don't forget, art isn't only drawing
    Well frankly, Maths isn't only Core 4 Integration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brxvebird)
    Looking for some advice please!
    I've moved college this year and currently study AS History, AS English Literature and A2 English Language. I eventually want be a journalist in a culture and arts kind of scene.

I'm currently looking at studying combined honours at Newcastle, definitely doing Linguistics as it's what I enjoy the most (if I don't do combined honours I'll be studying that alone, as that was the original plan). For my other subjects in Combined honours I was looking at perhaps Media and Communication, and what I've found more interesting, History of Art.
    None of these require an Art A-Level and I know it's deemed by some universities as being a "mickey mouse" subject (I try not to read into this too much but it is something I consider), but as I'll only be doing 2 A-Levels next year having finished English Language, I was wondering if maybe taking it as an AS would be a good idea?

The trouble is I'm not a natural. I studied Art at school in my spare time and after school as an extra GCSE for around 6 months, but had to eventually drop it as I found it too much work alongside other subjects. I did pretty well, it just took me a bit longer to complete a task because I'm not naturally good at it. My thinking is that I'm good at writing and research so as long as I can wing the more creative side of it and do as best as I can, I still have a good shot at getting a good grade right? I think my Sixth Form will try and push me to take up another AS to fill a gap next year, but my options are very limited.
    You are not really telling us that AS Art is what you would love to do!

What other options are school offering you? An extended project is equivalent to an AS and you can choose the area you would like to base it on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Messi555)
    Well frankly, Maths isn't only Core 4 Integration.
    Not quite sure what you mean by that, but what I mean was there are plenty of things you can do (sculpture/painting/abstract work) if drawing isn't OP's thing

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.