Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

"higher education " watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Quck question, if i have previously done a higher education course, which was a hnc but i did it at college and was given partial funding. The exact amount i cant remember. Does this count as previous higher education study if it was at college? And if i did it part time over a course of two years, does it count as a 2 year course when considering student finance? Im looking at how much funding i can get but have done this hnc and have been to uni and dropped out 2 months in on the first year. Fyi im a welsh students

Cheers
    Sion
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Who funded the course doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    There are two factors to consider:

1) The ELQ (Equivalent or Lower Qualification) rule
    2) The limited number of years of Student Finance to which you are entitled.

Under the ELQ rules, your HNC is the equivalent of the first year of a degree course. You would therefore not get any SF funding for the first year of a degree, other than a minimum Maintenance Loan. You would have to pay your own tuition fees. If that was the only factor, your full SF entitlement would kick in for your second and third years.

However on top of that, the calculation of your remaining funding entitlement depends on whether you got as far as enrolling at uni at your first attempt - at the two month mark, I would assume you did. Partial years of uni-level education count as complete for the SF calculation, so both of your part-time HNC years and your first attempt at uni, will count as complete for the SF calculation. This is:

Number of years of your new uni course (minus) Previous years of uni-level study (plus) One year = Number of years of remaining SF entitlement

This would give you 3-3+1=1 year of SF full entitlement remaining, which will be given in your third year.

So the ELQ rule excludes you from getting your full SF entitlement in the first year, and the calculation excludes you from getting it in your second year as well.

If I'm understanding your situation correctly, you will have to largely self-fund the first and second years of a degree, with your remaining year of full SF funding provided for your third year.

But please check this direct with Student Finance Wales. They should be able to give you a definitive answer.

ReputationRep:
    Go

Thanks for your replies. I did call student finance Wales this afternoon and was told firstly about the business of me dropping out that I loose one year and secondly because the hnc I did was part time and was covered over two years that it only counted as one year when it came to student finance. Therefore I would be entitled to 2 years and maintenance loan only (plus supplimentary grants). And was told my best option would be to send in an application to find out what exactly I'm entitled to then cancel if needed.

Now need to see if I can sort 9 grand out :O

Thanks for your reply again!

Cheers
    Sion

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.