Turn on thread page Beta

I can't understand what people say watch

I was just curious as to whether anyone else experienced this.

It's not that I have hearing problems, I can hear people completely fine.
    I imagine it's best explained with an example.
    The other day in Physics, my desk was wet for some reason, so I went to wipe it up, and my teacher asked me: 'Has it been raining in here?'

I didn't understand it despite the fact that he asked me three times over.
    It happens quite often, usually people will repeat what they say until I agree or someone else says it.

Does anyone else experience this? When you can hear someone's statement word for word but still struggle to understand it regardless of it's simplicity?

ReputationRep:
    Lol this has happened to me as well, no idea why

ReputationRep:
    Yes I've experienced it many times and I don't have hearing problems. It's very strange and makes for an awkward situation. If anyone has any reasons, that would be awesome!

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes happens to me when I'm heavily daydreaming and I really can't be bothered to listen to another word about how Newton's Second Law got derived and how F=ma is just a simplified version of it and blah blah blah....

Though for me it's usually me just phasing out of life in front of me and entering my dream world in my mind, just staring into space enjoying another life LOL. And then someone just interrupts me and I'm just like... whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

But I don't know if this is what your talking about

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I was just curious as to whether anyone else experienced this.It's not that I have hearing problems, I can hear people completely fine.I imagine it's best explained with an example.The other day in Physics, my desk was wet for some reason, so I went to wipe it up, and my teacher asked me: 'Has it been raining in here?'I didn't understand it despite the fact that he asked me three times over.It happens quite often, usually people will repeat what they say until I agree or someone else says it.Does anyone else experience this? When you can hear someone's statement word for word but still struggle to understand it regardless of it's simplicity?

(Original post by EliteWolf98)
    Yes I've experienced it many times and I don't have hearing problems. It's very strange and makes for an awkward situation. If anyone has any reasons, that would be awesome!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Starvation13)
    Sometimes happens to me when I'm heavily daydreaming and I really can't be bothered to listen to another word about how Newton's Second Law got derived and how F=ma is just a simplified version of it and blah blah blah....

Though for me it's usually me just phasing out of life in front of me and entering my dream world in my mind, just staring into space enjoying another life LOL. And then someone just interrupts me and I'm just like... whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

But I don't know if this is what your talking about
    Kinda like when someone's talking to you and you just can't take in what their saying. I'm not sure if it's nerves/shock/ or just simply thinking at the same timeas them talking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EliteWolf98)
    Kinda like when someone's talking to you and you just can't take in what their saying. I'm not sure if it's nerves/shock/ or just simply thinking at the same timeas them talking
    Yeah, if a game of LoL gets too intense for me, I'll be off in the zone, anything my mum says to me. I WILL NOT HEAR. i'll just be like "Yeah mum, sure" then just back to the game.

TBH for me, if i have strong feelings about something or in just a deep state of thought, I won't hear them.

It's a perfectly normal occurrence, it's even in movies and TV series lol. When the plotline drops the main character is just in deep thought and doesn't listen to what his/her SO or business partner is saying to them, and then they always give their heads a little shake and say "Sorry, what?".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I was just curious as to whether anyone else experienced this.

It's not that I have hearing problems, I can hear people completely fine.
    I imagine it's best explained with an example.
    The other day in Physics, my desk was wet for some reason, so I went to wipe it up, and my teacher asked me: 'Has it been raining in here?'

I didn't understand it despite the fact that he asked me three times over.
    It happens quite often, usually people will repeat what they say until I agree or someone else says it.

Does anyone else experience this? When you can hear someone's statement word for word but still struggle to understand it regardless of it's simplicity?
    I experience this pretty much everyday, especially in Further Maths where I do not know what everyone is saying. I think it's probably due to a lack of focus.

ReputationRep:
    I sometimes get this when i try to read things. For me, i think it's partly a case of being unable to concentrate, and so i can't process the information. I am generally EXTREMELY bad at processing information quickly, and so have to take my time with tasks like reading, and even conversing with someone in real life.

Yeah, happens all the time

Like when my mum tells me to do something, I just stare at her blankly with no idea on what she just said

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 20, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.