Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am struggling to understand this example. I can't find the values listed in the first table for the probability of x, from the binomial distribution tables. Are these values wrong? I can only find 0.1074, im looking at the table for B(10,0.2)

Any ideas?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katiee224)
    I am struggling to understand this example. I can't find the values listed in the first table for the probability of x, from the binomial distribution tables. Are these values wrong? I can only find 0.1074, im looking at the table for B(10,0.2)

Any ideas?
    please post to the maths help forum
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=38

ReputationRep:

Any ideas?
    it may be that you are looking at cumulative binomial tables... to look up "exactly 5" for instance you would do "cumulative to 5" - "cumulative to 4"
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster

Any ideas?
    I'm guess they're talking about the cumulative binomial tables ( you could find out each P(X=x) by doing P(X =x) = P(X less than or equal to x) - P(x less than or equal to x -1) but if you can't see that also try calculating P(x=1), i.e 10C1 * 0.9^9 * 0.2.

Edit: Should be 0.8^9. Sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    it may be that you are looking at cumulative binomial tables... to look up "exactly 5" for instance you would do "cumulative to 5" - "cumulative to 4"
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    I'm guess they're talking about the cumulative binomial tables ( you could find out each P(X=x) by doing P(X =x) = P(X less than or equal to x) - P(x less than or equal to x -1) but if you can't see that also try calculating P(x=1), i.e 10C1 * 0.9^9 * 0.2.
    I feel really stupid now haha so obvious

thanks guyyssss

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 21, 2015
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.