Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Re-taking AS Level English literature A (Literature of WW1) watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    I am re-taking my AS level English lit exam (and possibly will improve my coursework at a later date) so am on the look out for any extra help. I am on the 'old' specification and have been looking into buying a revision guide, does anyone have any suggestions? both on the revision tip front and revision guides, any advice is welcome
    Many thanks!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Char10tte123)
    Hello!
    I am re-taking my AS level English lit exam (and possibly will improve my coursework at a later date) so am on the look out for any extra help. I am on the 'old' specification and have been looking into buying a revision guide, does anyone have any suggestions? both on the revision tip front and revision guides, any advice is welcome
    Many thanks!
    Popping this into the English section for you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Char10tte123)
    Hello!
    Many thanks!
    This takes me back!

Revision: make sure you know your quotes.

For Section A: your best bet is to learn only 3/4 fiction so 1 novel, 1 drama, 1 prose and 1 non-fiction and get loads of quotes from that. That's all you need. I say at least about 3 quotes for the different themes: "women and the home front", mans inhumanity against man, etc etc.

Wider reading only constitutes as 20% the rest is how well you can talk about the extract that's in front of you. So don't panic if you forget a quote or anything like that. Try and compare your point to the context of war itself if that helps.

Practice your essays! I wish I had done this! Because it helps with those grades as well as what you're doing right, and where you're going wrong. Always focus on where you're going wrong - don't try to strengthen your "rights" cause that is wasting time. Always improve your weaknesses to make them intermediate.

Read stuff you will enjoy! Don't feel like you have to plough through so much reading. If you don't like something, then simply swap the book for another.

Hope you enjoy it!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 24, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.