Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Dutasteride vs Finasteride Hair loss experiences watch

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know or tried any of these weird sounding drugs for hair problems?

They are very strong and I don't really know which one is better overall and if there are alternatives to either of them.

Any experiences or articles to explain would DBE appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    from the looks of it, dutasteride vs finasteride is a lost battle already - especially in hair loss and helping those kind of conditions. the side effects of both are very severe, and the risk is simply stupidly high, no matter how many silly and fake reports the pharmacuticals try to make about it not having that many side effects and great results.

From my understanding, both drugs don't help resolve the problem of inflammation which is one major cause of hair loss. This article explains it better, in terms of dutasteride vs finasteride and any alternatives.
    If i was you, i would work on stopping the inflammation on the scalp that is causing the problem, rather than taking a dangerous drug for life, with hardly much results, and a lifetime of constant use...

ReputationRep:
    i know Finasteride because a friend of mine used to use it, and at first he said it helps with hair loss, but after about a year he started suffering side effects from water retention (he couldn't lose weight) and in eastern medicine that means your kidneys are taking a lot more stress than they need to, and this will accelerate your aging process... so i doubt these kind of drugs help with long term use, especially not worth it for hair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by source)
    i know Finasteride because a friend of mine used to use it, and at first he said it helps with hair loss, but after about a year he started suffering side effects from water retention (he couldn't lose weight) and in eastern medicine that means your kidneys are taking a lot more stress than they need to, and this will accelerate your aging process... so i doubt these kind of drugs help with long term use, especially not worth it for hair.

yes and duterstride has been known to cause similar side effects too. Thanks for sharing, i didnt know that view of eastern medicine. very interesting

ReputationRep:
    yeah, the water retention, at least in eastern medicine, is a sign of kidneys getting weaker, it also helps explain why sexual problems happen, as in eastern medicine, Kidney helps regulate the sexual functions and organs of the body.

i never thought i would ever relate eastern medicine in this way with duterstride or Finasteride.

You're probably genetically predispotioned to baldness, so instead of wasting money and your time buying that crap, you should probably embrace it. There's nothing wrong with being bald and women dig it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    You're probably genetically predispotioned to baldness, so instead of wasting money and your time buying that crap, you should probably embrace it. There's nothing wrong with being bald and women dig it.
    haha that is true actually... great advice!

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest minoxidil - not nearly as severe in terms of consequences and it really does work. I've been using it for more than 6 months now and I love the results! I used to have my hands filled with hair everytime I showered, yet now it's only a couple of hairs which is natural. I've also noticed significant growth of hair in some areas where I was previously experiencing noticeable shedding.

That said, it is pretty expensive to maintain and you have to apply it twice a day forever if you wish to keep the results.

Posted from TSR Mobile

From what I hear, both can be really effective at slowing hair loss, dustasteride is supposed to be stronger but therefore is bound to have more severe side effects. many people fighting hair loss won't just use one treatment though, many use 'the big three'- Minoxidl, Finasteride or Dustasteride and Nizoral shampoo, which helps settle scalp inflammation which can be partly responsible for hair loss, very expensive treatment, but for some going bald at a young age is just not an option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    From what I hear, both can be really effective at slowing hair loss, dustasteride is supposed to be stronger but therefore is bound to have more severe side effects. many people fighting hair loss won't just use one treatment though, many use 'the big three'- Minoxidl, Finasteride or Dustasteride and Nizoral shampoo, which helps settle scalp inflammation which can be partly responsible for hair loss, very expensive treatment, but for some going bald at a young age is just not an option.

Best alternative to these drugs really is scalp massage, and working to resolve the hormonal balance which is happening with exercise and cutting carbs and sugar.

The other two are dangerous drugs that mess up sexual life, and damage kidneys in the long term - so you will look much older than you normally would be at your age, so again, this is a big step if someone does, because we want the hair on our heads to stay looking younger, but if you take drugs like that, that age you anyway, then what's the point...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 24, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.