Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm in year 11 in school and I'm supposed to be figuring out what college to go to and what A-level courses to study in the next few weeks so I can get my application in ASAP.

I am currently thinking of taking Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics/Further Mathematics and English Literature. However, I don't know if this combination will be too hard causing me to drop some and only get AS levels, which in turn will lower my UCAS points by 60% for each subject.

I see myself to be quite academic but doubt myself too often. I am getting C's and over in all my subjects that I study for GCSE but I still feel this won't be good enough.

I want to go into the medical industry, preferably as a forensic pathologist, which I know requires a lot of hard work.

Thank you in advance!

(The GCSE's I'm studying are: English, Maths, Science, Art, PE, Business Studies, ICT and French.) (I have already completed GCSE Geography, in which I got a C. It was in a year and I was in year 9:/)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgia7600)
    x
    I studied Biology, Chemistry, Maths & English Lit :awesome:
    It's a lovely combination, but lots of hard work.

Are there entry requirements for where you are going to go College/6th Form?
    Most will say B and above at GCSE for those subjects, and then A*/A for Further Maths.
    If you can get in with C's though, and you know this, ignore me

I'd say you would probably struggle with Further Maths if you got a C at GCSE :sadnod:
    Stick to just Maths if you think the workload would be too much.

Also - do you know about the reforms? Quite a few people are just taking 3 subjects now, as you sit all the exams at the end of the 2 years. Some Colleges do offer sitting an As exam though, but this doesn't count for A2.

Feel free to ask any subject/college related questions, as I did all of your subject possibilities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neuth)
    I studied Biology, Chemistry, Maths & English Lit :awesome:
    It's a lovely combination, but lots of hard work.

Are there entry requirements for where you are going to go College/6th Form?
    Most will say B and above at GCSE for those subjects, and then A*/A for Further Maths.
    If you can get in with C's though, and you know this, ignore me

I'd say you would probably struggle with Further Maths if you got a C at GCSE :sadnod:
    Stick to just Maths if you think the workload would be too much.

Also - do you know about the reforms? Quite a few people are just taking 3 subjects now, as you sit all the exams at the end of the 2 years. Some Colleges do offer sitting an As exam though, but this doesn't count for A2.

Feel free to ask any subject/college related questions, as I did all of your subject possibilities
    The entry requirements for the courses I'm thinking about are B's and above I think, so I know I need to start revising and getting my grades higher than C's. My predicted grades are mostly B's (I don't know if these have been updated, I just looked then haha ) but if I work hard I know I can do it as I'm already working at C's and B's with months to spare.

I will probably end up just doing Maths as I will have pressure on me with the other three courses.

Are those courses together, like, way too much pressure? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgia7600)
    Are those courses together, like, way too much pressure? :eek:
    It's a big workload but very manageable if you work hard :yep:

Most of my friends did Chem, Phys, Maths, F. Maths, EPQ & Critical Thinking, so... :giggle:
    We all worked hard - I never noticed much of a difference - we were all nerdy together

You'll be fine if you work hard, like I say

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neuth)
    It's a big workload but very manageable if you work hard :yep:

Most of my friends did Chem, Phys, Maths, F. Maths, EPQ & Critical Thinking, so... :giggle:
    We all worked hard - I never noticed much of a difference - we were all nerdy together

You'll be fine if you work hard, like I say
    Thank you so much, still unsure whether or not to take the chance but I suppose I'll have to decide soon

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.