Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is this so?

I was recently informed in a debate that ended sourly that Mauritania for example executes gays for being, well, gay. The penalty is "capital punishment."

But sources say: "no such executions have taken place since 1990."

It's that there is no such thing as a hate crime, not that there are executions literally happening.

Do you agree with this? You can post as Anon.

Also does anyone know of any places where gays are literally executed for "being gay"? How is that even possible? Do gays wear a detection bracelet? How can they possibly know someone is gay. Or is it against caught in same sex act? How can someone be caught having sex though unless it's in the street, or being avidly monitored? Just someone who has extensive knowledge explain this to me, this is news to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maggie_O)
    Is this so?

I was recently informed in a debate that ended sourly that Mauritania for example executes gays for being, well, gay. The penalty is "capital punishment."

It's that there is no such thing as a hate crime, not that there are executions literally happening.

Also does anyone know of any places where gays are literally executed for "being gay"? How is that even possible? Do gays wear a detection bracelet? How can they possibly know someone is gay. Or is it against caught in same sex act? How can someone be caught having sex though unless it's in the street, or being avidly monitored? Just someone who has extensive knowledge explain this to me, this is news to me.

This is still very, very real today. ISIS will execute anyone they even suspect of being gay. I could link you to some gifs, but I'd be forum banned.

ReputationRep:
    Is this so?

It is common in some African countries like Uganda, there are even 'witch hunts' against gay people. I have watched a documentary on this on YouTube and when someone is found out to be gay- an ordinary person -, it is put on the frontpage of newspapers and then they get killed. As for how they get found out, well, there are gay clubs even in third world African countries so somebody who goes to places like that is risking getting caught, also if two males live together without girlfriends in sight for years, it's pretty suspicious... etc. If somebody wants to tell even one person, a family member, they usually react badly and will hand them over themselves.

There are plenty of news stories of gays being jailed/executed for being gay, just google it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    It is common in some African countries like Uganda, there are even 'witch hunts' against gay people. I have watched a documentary on this on YouTube and when someone is found out to be gay- an ordinary person -, it is put on the frontpage of newspapers and then they get killed. As for how they get found out, well, there are gay clubs even in third world African countries so somebody who goes to places like that is risking getting caught, also if two males live together without girlfriends in sight for years, it's pretty suspicious... etc. If somebody wants to tell even one person, a family member, they usually react badly and will hand them over themselves.
    I saw the one on the Ugandans and I saw some documentary that it's partly missionaries from Canada I believe, who what I would call blackmail these Ugandan politicians with money for funding and probably their pockets as well, if they take on their beliefs. There's a novel on homosexuality this missionary couple published and these Ugandans in the documentary see it as like a bible.

I just read up that the act against them was signed in 2014.

But I was more concerned about it being in other countries as well; I thought it was just crazy Uganda.

Hmm ok so gay clubs, that's...one way. It's still dumb of them to outlaw homosexuality; how can you outlaw sex, unless you're watching over it, and for that citizens should say invasion of privacy. That's what I want to know: they're only executing (if they are literally doing that) people they see doing it. It's futile because, you can't see gay and not every gay goes to club and not every one is in a relationship. xD

ReputationRep:
    It's still dumb of them to outlaw homosexuality
    It's still dumb for people to 'disagree' with homosexuality, I'll correct.

ReputationRep:
    happens in Muslim countries

ReputationRep:
    It's common in many countries.

ReputationRep:
    there are lots of gays in the Arab world

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure that in Saudi Arabia corporal/capital punishment still exists for homosexuals. It's disgusting.

edit: Homosexuality isn't disgusting - I was referring to the Saudi Arabian legal system which thinks it acceptable to flog/torture individuals for being homosexual

ReputationRep:
    its such as sad world, People still hold bigoted views

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    happens in Muslim countries
    lol..thanks for that input.

What I'm really asking is, what are the conditions of anti-gay executions? Is it literally executions?

It says here that executions were for sodomy and not specifically for homosexuality.

It says here that many countries practice the death sentence, but none officially reported in most of the listed countries for being because of actual same sex activity. driftawaay I am still looking though, but the purpose of the thread is for people, who think executions specifically against homosexual acts is so, to provide evidence.

ReputationRep:
    I believe homosexuality is publishable by death in Saudi Arabia. The same Saudi Arabia the British government is BFF with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSR Mustafa)
    It's common in many countries.
    Ok can you please provide proof and please do not say google. I am reading sources that say executions are rare and done for sodomy, not specifically homosexuality. And other countries sentence capital punishment but haven't done this in years. If you have something, please provide it. It's a thread, you can contribute with your own facts you know...

I'm not disputing it is done against a witnessed or assessed homosexual act, I am asking for proof because I think some people may not know.

ReputationRep:
    lol..thanks for that input.

What I'm really asking is, what are the conditions of anti-gay executions? Is it literally executions?

It says here that executions were for sodomy and not specifically for homosexuality.

It says here that many countries practice the death sentence, but none officially reported in most of the listed countries for being because of actual same sex activity. driftawaay I am still looking though, but the purpose of the thread is for people, who think executions specifically against homosexual acts is so, to provide evidence.
    There were a bunch of news stories about survivors from the countries ISIS operate in. They basically just kill anyone they suspect is gay because God tells them to (by throwing them from rooftops).
    Idk much else about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElephantMemory)
    I believe homosexuality is publishable by death in Saudi Arabia. The same Saudi Arabia the British government is BFF with.
    *punishable. And ok, where did you hear/read/see this to be so..?

Can you name me a specific case from an article you read? I am reading where I linked to ChickenMadness that the more common penalty is lashing, not death. The sentence is death but the act against them normally is not.

ReputationRep:
    There were a bunch of news stories about survivors from the countries ISIS operate in. They basically just kill anyone they suspect is gay because God tells them to (by throwing them from rooftops).
    Idk much else about it.
    Ok screw ISIS, we know they're crazy. I mean regular people.

Ok those are the ISIS militias. What about the mandate of those countries that "ISIS operates in?" Are they ordering for these bodies to be thrown off? Because in western countries where hate crimes are implemented for LGBT protection, there are still atrocities done toward gays, and still not overall acceptance as well.

ReputationRep:
    Ok screw ISIS, we know they're crazy. I mean regular people.

Ok those are the ISIS militias. What about the mandate of those countries that "ISIS operates in?" Are they ordering for these bodies to be thrown off? Because in western countries where hate crimes are implemented for LGBT protection, there are still atrocities done toward gays, and still not overall acceptance as well.
    Wellllll you've just linked a decent article. That's probably it. Just those countries that are mentioned in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saxsan4)
    its such as sad world, People still hold bigoted views
    Well it's a theological society, and the main continent being liberal towards gays (not overall either) are Euro countries, and they are also less theological. The countries still pushing for executions whether they do it or not (they don't, mainly, these days) are countries still heavily running under religion or a religious influence. Not blaming religion, just saying.

ReputationRep:
    Wellllll you've just linked a decent article. That's probably it. Just those countries that are mentioned in it.
    So what are you saying? Are you agreeing that saying homosexuals being killed like flies, because the gov't says so, is...a bit untrue? Albeit they are still "punished" for being gay, and also that the death penalty is still practiced for other things?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    There are plenty of news stories of gays being jailed/executed for being gay, just google it.
    K thanks for droppin' by.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.