The Student Room Group

Term Limit for Abortion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by VV Cephei A
Sorry pal, that's not how analogies work.

Well, we are not talking about analogies any longer.

You cannot even agree upon the simple point that a forced pregnancy has to override bodily autonomy.

That is why you had to misrepresent the analogy.
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't believe in any term 'limit'. Abortion is only wrong once the foetus/baby could survive on its own
Original post by DorianGrayism
Well, we are not talking about analogies.

You cannot even agree upon the simple point that a forced pregnancy has to override bodily autonomy.

Except we are. This whole argument rests upon an analogy which is horrendously flawed and thus not actually used to determine abortion laws anywhere.

A fetus's right to life is what the abortion debate is actually about, in the real world. As I said, otherwise we would be allowing abortion up until the moment of birth, in respect of bodily autonomy. Why doesn't this happen?
Except we are. This whole argument rests upon an analogy which is horrendously flawed and thus not actually used to determine abortion laws anywhere.

Again, you choose to ignore the fact that in both cases, bodily autonomy is overridden.

You are just choosing ignore the subject completely.

We can talk about abortion being allow at birth and etc once this basic concept is agreed upon.
Reply 24
Original post by PAFCStan
I am quite firmly on the left politically, and I identify with many women's rights causes and would consider myself to be a feminist.

However, I struggle to morally justify the 24 week term limit on abortion. Abortion is a cause celebre for many of my fellows on the left - that if you support a shorter term limit, you are right-wing and anti-women. However, I will always stand with the oppressed, and in this case I think the unborn child is oppressed.

Many of the arguments that people make sound like libertarian/right-wing points. "Abortion is a women's decision" - I disagree with this because I think that decisions should be collectively taken by society and the unborn child has no choice to be aborted. I find it morally unjustifiable for it to be acceptable to abort a 24 week old baby still in the womb, while if that same baby was out, killing them would be murder.

Would like to get thoughts on this.

I agree with your thinking. I am an atheist liberal. But I have a penis, so apparently this means I cannot have an opinion on this subject.
Reply 25
Agree with you there, 24 weeks is too extensive. If you're going to have any kind of consistency regarding this issue, you would want to ensure above all else that a fetus could not be aborted at any stage where it could potentially be viable. At 20-24 weeks fetuses do have a chance of viability and many have survived with medical assistance. The limit should be, at the absolute most, 20 weeks, if not even a little earlier. Since the vast majority of abortions happen well before this stage anyway, it wouldn't have much of a significant social impact either.

Feminists trying to frame this as a misogynist issue hurt their cause far more than anyone else.

Why is the viability outside the womb with medical assistance a reasonable cut off point?

No baby is viable outside the womb without some pretty extensive assistance.
Reply 26
Original post by Alba2013
Babies don't get aborted at 24 weeks because they are unwanted, but because they are found in scans to have severe disabilities or cause a deadly risk to the mother. It is 24 weeks because that is when those scans are carried out.

So it's okay to destroy a life because of you've found a disability in it? Wow! I thought people learnt from the Nazis that life destroying eugenics was a really bad thing. Clearly not.
Reply 27
I don't think the argument is about rejecting bodily autonomy, it's about restricting people's choices to do things when such a choice will lead to harm (in this case death) of another life.
Reply 28
Original post by Nadile
While I am all for abortions, I do agree that the 24 weeks limit may be too much. It is reasonable in the case of sudden health decline in the mother etc. since those things can't be predicted, but those cases already taken as exceptions to the limit anyway. In all other cases where the woman just wants to abort the pregnancy, she shouldn't need 24 weeks to do it.

Would you support the woman's "right" to abort a child because the scan revealed it was a girl, and she wanted a boy?
Reply 29
Original post by viddy9
The decision of the mother takes precedence in this case because the foetus is not self-aware, and cannot reason, and therefore has no interest in continuing to live.

So you would support the termination of an anaesthetised person (if someone wanted it to happen) because they are not self-aware, cannot reason, and has not interest in continuing to live?

Likewise you would support the termination of a newly born (if the mother wanted it to happen), because again, it is not self-aware, cannot reason and therefore has no interest in continuing to live?

Original post by viddy9
Oppression is generally defeined as prolonged cruel or unjust treatment. It's not, however, possible to inflict cruelty on a foetus by aborting it, because it is not sentient: it simply cannot object to being aborted.

You say it doesn't have a choice in the matter, but that's not because it's being denied a choice: it's because it cannot choose.

Neither can a newly born baby or an anaesthetised person.

Original post by viddy9

In my view, 24 weeks is too early a limit: people should be able to have abortions at any stage of pregnancy.

So at 9 months?

And how about a few days post birth? Is it okay then based on your above reasoning?
Pretty sure that abortions only happen at 24 weeks if there's a serious problem detected. Nobody waits until they're 6 months pregnant to abort their child out of choice - when you more than likely have to give birth to the foetus in the process. It would be incredibly traumatic.

It's also very rare,I read some stats somewhere from the NHS and very few are carried out this far along.
Reply 31
Original post by Betelgeuse-
I think not bringing unwanted humans into unstable, dangerous and unloving homes is whats best for society. I find Most of the people who think like this would be the first to turn their back on a child that crackhead mummy n daddy cannot care for or support or love.

Surely adoption at birth to a lovely family is preferable to destruction of the life?
Reply 32
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Pretty sure that abortions only happen at 24 weeks if there's a serious problem detected. Nobody waits until they're 6 months pregnant to abort their child out of choice - when you more than likely have to give birth to the foetus in the process. It would be incredibly traumatic.

It's also very rare,I read some stats somewhere from the NHS and very few are carried out this far along.

Fact that it is rare is irrelevant.

Murder in this country is rare, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't legislate to make it illegal.
Original post by Rat_Bag
Surely adoption at birth to a lovely family is preferable to destruction of the life?

Do you think there are an abundance of people looking to adopt? There isn't!
Reply 34
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Do you think there are an abundance of people looking to adopt? There isn't!

Yes there are, and they always want to adopt babies, which are in very short supply. The interest in adoption dries up as the child ages and "becomes damaged". I mean the international adoption market is pretty huge (and of course it's almost always babies or very young infants)
Again, you choose to ignore the fact that in both cases, bodily autonomy is overridden.You are just choosing ignore the subject completely.We can talk about abortion being allow at birth and etc once this basic concept is agreed upon.
You're failing to see the gaping error in your reasoning. Bodily autonomy is NOT absolute, and can conceivably be outweighed by the rights of another, such as in the case of late term abortion. The author of that essay is trying to make an argument for the mother's bodily autonomy outweighing the rights of the child, she is not taking bodily autonomy as an absolute. In order to make her case, she uses analogies and draws parallels to hypothetical scenarios. Those analogies are flawed, and so the argument fails. Hope this helps.
Reply 36
So you would ban abortion ?

I wouldn't ban it completely, just reduce the time limit to 12 weeks.

The ONLY reason I wouldn't ban it is because women would probably still get unsafe illegal abortions. It is the lesser of two evils to provide safe access to abortion. At least then only one life is lost.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rat_Bag
So it's okay to destroy a life because of you've found a disability in it? Wow! I thought people learnt from the Nazis that life destroying eugenics was a really bad thing. Clearly not.

Wow! You clearly can't read because that is nowhere near what I said. Carrying a baby to term so it can die a few minutes later because it wasn't viable in the first place, whilst possibly risking the life of the mother at the same time isn't even pro life - it's pro birth, nothing else.

Please read and understand next time before you start quoting and talking about Nazis and other nonsense.
(edited 8 years ago)
Society has always limited bodily autonomy for the good of others.

I don't think OP was arguing that women should be denied abortion rights, simply that it's inconsistent to kill off a foetus of the same stage of development at which others have become viable. Simply talking about the cut-off point doesn't change the position on bodily autonomy.

I feel as though I must have misunderstood what you're saying.
Original post by Alba2013
Babies don't get aborted at 24 weeks because they are unwanted, but because they are found in scans to have severe disabilities or cause a deadly risk to the mother. It is 24 weeks because that is when those scans are carried out.

There is no point carrying on with another 3 months of pregnancy to deliver a baby that won't survive on its own or with a quality of life so diminished it would be cruel to bring them into the world.

It's definitely not to give a woman 6 months to decide if she wants to keep the baby or not, get real.

I just want to quote and reiterate this post to the dozen or so posters who just blanked it to continue an argument about if the foetus is viable or not. The reason we have late term abortions is to ensure quality of life, not because some nimby couldnt make up there mind for almost 6 months as this is a small irrelevant minority of late term abortions.

Besides even after exiting the womb foetus's arnt self aware! Hell babies are unable to understand their own existance until 2 or 3 years, so the foetus, regardless of how far along is a non-person. So I say again, even in the minority of late term abortions where the foetus is perfectly healthy, the pregnant mother has taken months to make the conscious decision that she doesnt want that child. So forcing an unloved child into the world is not only unfair on the mother (and father; a group frequently ignored in cases like this) but is also cruel to the child being forced into the world where nobody wants to care for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending