Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, my UCAS personal statement contains one and a half sentences that are the same as a personal statement I found online. Is this okay? It is only 30 out of 663 words and the rest is original.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kennyboy69.5)
    Hi, my UCAS personal statement contains one and a half sentences that are the same as a personal statement I found online. Is this okay? It is only 30 out of 663 words and the rest is orginal.
    I wouldn't risk it.

ReputationRep:
    If the 30 words are copied verbatim, then it will probably be flagged by the UCAS system. As a PS that you've found online, it has almost certainly been through UCAS, so will be saved in its database of past statements, meaning that it will be included by the system to cross-reference yours.
    I don't know for sure whether you'd get away with it - I think not. If it flags it, then admissions tutors will know which bit is plagiarised and which is original (or at least, not proven to be plagiarised), but any copying will not set a good impression, and as one candidate of many applying for your place, nine times out of 10 you will probably have just fast-tracked your application towards rejection. The impression that it sets is less than positive.

In short, it's probably not worth the hassle or the risk. Write your own reasons for why you want to do the course, rather than someone else's.

EDIT: I've looked at some universities' guidelines for dealing with plagiarised statements, and it's actually quite likely that you'd get away with it, even if it was flagged. They would probably ask you to rewrite and resend your statement, but as "In Year 13, students are not likely to be fully aware of the seriousness of plagiarism" (Loughborough University), they suggest that they'd led it slide provided it wasn't deemed too serious, which 30 words probably wouldn't be. Still don't recommend it, but you'd probably get away with it anyway. If you like, try it and tell us how it goes. (Disclaimer: this is not, in fact, my advice. Although I would be interested to know.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SosbanFach)
    If the 30 words are copied verbatim, then it will probably be flagged by the UCAS system. As a PS that you've found online, it has almost certainly been through UCAS, so will be saved in its database of past statements, meaning that it will be included by the system to cross-reference yours.
    I don't know for sure whether you'd get away with it - I think not. If it flags it, then admissions tutors will know which bit is plagiarised and which is original (or at least, not proven to be plagiarised), but any copying will not set a good impression, and as one candidate of many applying for your place, nine times out of 10 you will probably have just fast-tracked your application towards rejection. The impression that it sets is less than positive.

In short, it's probably not worth the hassle or the risk. Write your own reasons for why you want to do the course, rather than someone else's.

EDIT: I've looked at some universities' guidelines for dealing with plagiarised statements, and it's actually quite likely that you'd get away with it, even if it was flagged. They would probably ask you to rewrite and resend your statement, but as "In Year 13, students are not likely to be fully aware of the seriousness of plagiarism" (Loughborough University), they suggest that they'd led it slide provided it wasn't deemed too serious, which 30 words probably wouldn't be. Still don't recommend it, but you'd probably get away with it anyway. If you like, try it and tell us how it goes. (Disclaimer: this is not, in fact, my advice. Although I would be interested to know.)
    Thanks for the fast/detailed reply. Reading into it, I will take your advice and reword the sentence slightly.
    And haha yeah it is tempting to keep it but im applying to the likes of LSE, Warwick and Nottingham so it's probobly not worth the risk:cool:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...u-need-to-know

may help you. speak to your persoal totout in college. they should be able to help

ReputationRep:
    No that is not okay.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    The threshold for flagging is 2 sentences "similar ". If you know you match exactly 1 and a half sentences then it's pretty likely that you could match some of the non-online PSs in UCAS records to go over the threshold.

Just rewording sentences could well still be flagged as similar. Try removing the sentences completely and then decide whether you need to replace them with something along the same lines or whether you're better off using the extra space for something completely new.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't risk it. Keep it all your own words.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SosbanFach)

My personal statement got flagged by UCAS for 30% plagiarism, and I’ve been offered chances by two universities (economics and management) to re-submit a ‘new personal statement in your own words and not in the form of a given template’ etc... Does this mean I have to re-submit a new, 100% different personal statement or can I just simply remove the plagiarised sentences and leave the 70% of the statement I actually originally wrote??
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by liamd2)
    My personal statement got flagged by UCAS for 30% plagiarism, and I’ve been offered chances by two universities (economics and management) to re-submit a ‘new personal statement in your own words and not in the form of a given template’ etc... Does this mean I have to re-submit a new, 100% different personal statement or can I just simply remove the plagiarised sentences and leave the 70% of the statement I actually originally wrote??
    They want you to write a new statement from scratch. The suspicion will be that you copied far more than the sentences picked up by the detector.

ReputationRep:
    Question for OP: Did you write it yourself and coincidentally find someone else who used the same words? Or did you actually copy it from them?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.