The Student Room Group

Clinical Sciences PhD at Bristol?

Hi there

So my partner is in Armed Forces and has just found out his posting will be in Plymouth. We are looking to get married and start a family within the next few years so really looking to settle down together in a place that accommodates him and allows me to further my education.

With that in mind, I have found the exact course I have been looking to do (Clinical Sciences, Neuroscience) at Bristol uni, and am looking to apply ASAP.

I was wondering if anyone could give some advice? I will be emailing tomorrow (at a more respectable time!) but answers in the meantime would be amazing!

Firstly, the course is available as MSc, MD and PhD, with one "fee" stated. If I am able to get into the PhD program, is it the case that a stipend would be paid, and the course fees covered?

Secondly, it asks you have a potential supervisor and thesis prepared before applying ... Where would I find the individuals who act as supervisors, and would they suggest a thesis, or would I have to have one in mind before getting in contact with them?

Thank you so much in advance!
If the PhD program is funded with fees and stipend then yes, if not then no. You'll have to check. If it's not clear on the website, email.

Have a look at who's doing what research there and email potential supervisors to find out more about their work and if they'd like to take you on, They'll be able to suggest proposals for research.

Unfortunately this process takes a while (academics are notorious for taking ages to reply to emails coz we're busy!) and it isn't a good idea to apply without a potential supervisor backing you so you may have to hold off applying till you have a better picture of your prospects.
Reply 2
Hi alleycat, thanks for the reply!

I did email the university yesterday, and am waiting on a response (but I do understand they will be extremely busy and not expecting a reply immediately).

I think I have located the individuals involved in the different "branches" of research for want of a better term. What I'm wondering is what are the prerequisites to be a potential supervisor? For example, there are Professors of certain topics, research fellows, research associates, lecturers and others who simply stated they hold a PhD.

I'm sorry to ask silly questions, I just really want to get this right.

Original post by alleycat393
Unis decide who can supervise projects. Typically the project has a lead supervisor who is a prof and may have a supervisory team which is made up of other people from postdocs to senior lecturers (basically anyone with a PhD). An ideal situation is one in which you have multiple supervisors so that you have multiple perspectives and sources of help if something goes wrong or one person is too busy. How it all works and how it'll be managed it definitely a subject for discussion before you choose.

Your first step now should be to contact people you may be interested in working with. Once they've come back to you about whether they can/want to possibly take you on you'll start to have discussions about the project and how the supervision process will work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending