Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I have only just recently started an apprenticeship (hairdressing level 2) on the 2nd September. I go to college 1 day a week which is tuesday, then wednesday, thursday, friday and saturday i am in my salon work placement.
    I understand that hairdressing can be a *****y industry but I feel like I'm being treated very unfairly by the place I am at and I wish to go somewhere else so that I can finish my level 2 without all this stress and worry about what each day is going be like.
    I have experienced bullying from 3 people, the director (who is meant to be my line manager), a stylist and the other apprentice. Backstabbing and gossiping behind my back, social media - cyber bullying, offensive language and humiliation.
    As an apprentice you are required to tidy and clean the salon at the end of the day (mopping, sweeping, locking up, etc) the salon I work in is quite big so as there is 2 of us apprentices we are meant to split the cleaning duties in half. I am doing everything whilst she and the stylist stand there laughing at me and telling me to dry the mopped floor with a towel. Leaving me the very last person to go home.
    Having explained this to my manager he doesn't see it as bullying so he hasn't done anything about it and I have no idea what to do as I certainly class this as bullying and I can't deal with it as I am in tears almost every night I come home and I can't enjoy my life outside of work.
    I want to stick with hairdressing but I just want to be somewhere else where I can be happy enough to get on with my work without all this sadness lol

Any advice would be helpful
    Thanks
    x

ReputationRep:
    You work in an environment with any number of sharp pointy objects and you can't think of a way to resolve your predicament?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahlucyxo)
    I want to stick with hairdressing but I just want to be somewhere else where I can be happy enough to get on with my work without all this sadness lol
    Quit it. If you're not happy don't put yourself through it, there's loads of hairdressers looking for apprentices.

I had work experience at a hairdressers in high school and I HATED it, because I couldn't be bothered looking for a place to work the school organised it and I quit a week early because the staff were horrible and there was nothing to do - literally a piece of hair would fall on the floor and a 4 us would be stood in the back deciding who should get the brush.

Is the line manager the manager at the hairdressers or the person organising the apprenticeships? Have you talked to the college?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonathan Crane)
    You work in an environment with any number of sharp pointy objects and you can't think of a way to resolve your predicament?
    Hahaha!!! Love that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahlucyxo)
    Hahaha!!! Love that
    I didn't even go into all the flammable hair-spray and combustible hair all over the place.

ReputationRep:
    Who is this apprenticeship with? If its through a college or training provider then speak to your placement officer about finding somewhere new. If its through the salon itself then I second what another poster said and quit and find an apprenticeship somewhere else. I trained to be a Beautician when I was younger and had a similar experience; I quit and was much happier training somewhere else.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalangel18)
    Quit it. If you're not happy don't put yourself through it, there's loads of hairdressers looking for apprentices.

I had work experience at a hairdressers in high school and I HATED it, because I couldn't be bothered looking for a place to work the school organised it and I quit a week early because the staff were horrible and there was nothing to do - literally a piece of hair would fall on the floor and a 4 us would be stood in the back deciding who should get the brush.

Is the line manager the manager at the hairdressers or the person organising the apprenticeships? Have you talked to the college?
    Should I only quit if I have managed to find another place?

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. This is the reason why I'm on edge about what to do because I don't want to regret having not looked for another place to work where I could be happy. It puts you off hairdressing when you have experiences like this but it's literally the only thing I am passionate about, I want a successful career in hairdressing, I can't imagine doing anything else and it puts a downer on the whole ambition when you feel like you aren't being valued at the place you are working at to get the qualification.

The line manager is technically my boss that just works at the salon. The manager isn't a hairdresser he is the one that owns the place and organises the apprenticeships and is married to the boss. I have spoken to the college several times and they also haven't been very helpful

ReputationRep:
    Start looking for a place now, orif your parents are ok with quit as soon as possible if you can't stand itthere. It might take about 2-4 weeks (if you count closing dates andinterviews) to get a new one.
    You can do better and findsomewhere that pays more tbh. If you Google "hairdresser apprenticeshipsin (your city)" there will be loads of job postings and different trainingcompanies that you can use, you don't have to stay with college to get an apprenticeship

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.