Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Struggling with 1st year maths degree, please reccommend helpful resources watch

ReputationRep:
    I've just started my maths degree at Manchester after a year out. I didn't study further maths at A level and the lecturers are rushing through the work quite quickly. Could anyone recommend any good resources (preferably online) that I could use to get up to speed on my degree? I watched some youtube videos on topics in various modules that were quite helpful, but I have yet to find a series that covers a considerate portion of my course, could anyone recommend any??
    Any help or advice is appreciated, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simonking)
    I've just started my maths degree at Manchester after a year out. I didn't study further maths at A level and the lecturers are rushing through the work quite quickly. Could anyone recommend any good resources (preferably online) that I could use to get up to speed on my degree? I watched some youtube videos on topics in various modules that were quite helpful, but I have yet to find a series that covers a considerate portion of my course, could anyone recommend any??
    Any help or advice is appreciated, thanks
    I think you'd have to explain what topics you're struggling with - otherwise people will be wasting lots of effort on areas that aren't relevant.

It's also not clear if your real issue is "the lecturers are relying on me knowing this topic from FM" v.s. "I'm a bit rusty / unpracticed in applying what I did in maths A level to new stuff".

To my mind probably the biggest thing about FM is that it makes you apply what you cover in the normal A-level. That is, in Maths you'll get a very obvious trig identity question and you then think "what identities might help here", but it FM you're much more likely to be in the middle of some other calculation and need to spot "Ah, using a trig identity here would make this simplify nicely".

ReputationRep:
    Sets numbers and functions is the thing that i'm finding hardest so far. Also I've never studied probability before so that's proving to be a challenge too

ReputationRep:
    YouTube has some good tutorials.
    Patrick JmT
    MIT open courseware
    Khan academy

ReputationRep:
    If it makes you feel better, numbers and functions seems to feel more difficult than other modules to a lot of first years because it's quite different from the maths most a level courses cover. For this reason, not having done further maths is probably not as much as a disadvantage as you may think.

Although it's worrying to not understand immediately, in my case and hopefully yours, the more questions and answers you see, the more you'll get used to the correct way of approaching finding the solutions.

Online resources which are good for other areas like calculus or linear algebra are khan academy and paul's online calculus notes.

ReputationRep:
    I too im really struggling and it is only just the second week of the first term, please do you have any tips or notes or anything to help me

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 9, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.