Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I feel very unprepared to actually do any work at uni watch

ReputationRep:
    I take notes in lectures, I read over them, I do the background reading for the lectures/seminars and I'm reading the recommended books for the modules.

I feel like this isn't actually preparing me for anything though, I'm just being fed information on various events along with information on what scholars thought about said events.

Will it just continue like this until the exam? am I expected to wing analytical questions on purely objective knowledge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blear)
    I take notes in lectures, I read over them, I do the background reading for the lectures/seminars and I'm reading the recommended books for the modules.

I feel like this isn't actually preparing me for anything though, I'm just being fed information on various events along with information on what scholars thought about said events.

Will it just continue like this until the exam? am I expected to wing analytical questions on purely objective knowledge?
    It's early days yet, but the general idea is that you should ultimately start forming your own opinions, based on those you've read and been told about. Which do you agree/disagree with and why? Do any other academics agree/disagree and why? You need to be able to describe the current thinking about the subject of an exam or essay question, then use that to answer the specific question you've been set.

ReputationRep:
    you need the facts before opinions, that is how uni works. better than school where you just got the facts.

ReputationRep:
    When it comes to doing your assignments, you will need the information that has been 'fed to you' to research on!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.