Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello friends. I'm a second year studying biomedical sciences with the intention of going into research after my degree. However, I'm interested in taking a year out between 2 and 3 for placements.

Plot twist: I want to do multiple placements around the world, as a 12 month in one place doesn't satisfy me.

I'm thinking of applying to cosmetic and general med related companies across the globe with the intention of passion from one placement to the next.

Does anyone have any experience or advise with this? I have travelled a lot, but don't have much experience contacting businesses regarding placements.

Thank you for your time
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Hi,

It's a good idea in theory but there are a few things to take into consideration:

First off, can you take the time off uni? You need to check that they'll allow this because they may not or may have to have sufficient notice to make sure they're ready for you when you return.
    Second, the reason for a 12 month placement is that you have enough time to learn the ropes, become independent and get properly stuck into a project. If all goes to plan (which it often doesn't in research!) you can do this in 4-6 months and then leave so you may want to think about what you want to get out of this year.
    Finally, you may want to have a look at where you may want to work, what kind of work they do there and what visa etc requirements you need to meet.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.