Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Don't trust Owen Jones.

ReputationRep:
    I've seen it, Hitchens is interesting and more people who are stuck to the so-called left or right should listen to his views, rather than prejudge his positions,

ReputationRep:
    that Peter Hitchens guy is painful. I want the better Hitchens back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    that Peter Hitchens guy is painful. I want the better Hitchens back.
    Did you even listen to his points? Anything he said, that the government has done to take away peoples Liberty and Justice? Did you, or do you just not care at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    I've seen it, Hitchens is interesting and more people who are stuck to the so-called left or right should listen to his views, rather than prejudge his positions,
    I agree. He has views based on the evidence put in front of him, rather than ideology. Though I don't agree with him on area's like nationalising the railways, thought I do think in part there should be re-nationalisation. I also think the government ruined the railways in the 1960's-1980's when they got rid of most of the network in favour of disgusting and dangerous road vehicle transport. Oh and I agree with Hitchens that cities should be car free zones, as they just ruin cities.

I also think the start of the destruction of Protestant Britain started after the victory at Waterloo. As it removed the Catholic French threat, so we no longer needed the Anglican and Protestant ascendancy to protect against France. Though the Victorian era the government vastly increased its power, and the Church lost power. Though I do think he is right the great cataclysmic event which caused people to no longer believe in the Church was WW1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElephantMemory)
    Don't trust Owen Jones.
    Owen Jones is alright. He is just wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by william walker)
    Did you even listen to his points? Anything he said, that the government has done to take away peoples Liberty and Justice? Did you, or do you just not care at all?
    I didnt even click on the video. I just felt like commenting that I want the other Hitchens back.

ReputationRep:
    I didnt even click on the video. I just felt like commenting that I want the other Hitchens back.
    You mean the one who the first chance he got buggered off the US and wanted to change the British governmental system to that of the US? It is clear the Christopher Hitchens was the better writer, had the more fashionable views. However he wasn't British.

Also listen to the video and what Peter Hitchens says. Have an open mind and you will learn something.

ReputationRep:
    Owen Jones and Peter Hitchens both seem completely up their own arses on that.

You mean the one who the first chance he got buggered off the US and wanted to change the British governmental system to that of the US? It is clear the Christopher Hitchens was the better writer, had the more fashionable views. However he wasn't British.

Also listen to the video and what Peter Hitchens says. Have an open mind and you will learn something.
    Anyone born in Britain is British.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by United1892)
    Owen Jones and Peter Hitchens both seem completely up their own arses on that.

Anyone born in Britain is British.
    No.

ReputationRep:
    No.
    How not? You don't stop being British.

ReputationRep:
    How not? You don't stop being British.
    You aren't British unless you support the institutions of the nation state.

ReputationRep:

I don't need someone who lives in 1500 to tell me I need an open mind. And no, I am not watching the video as I am not interested in what he has to say, especially not for a whole hour.

PS: Christopher Hitchens had a British passport, therefore he was British. Just because somebody doesn't agree with you doesn't mean they aren't British.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately for you, people live according to the law, not according to your unique definitions made up by you.

ReputationRep:
    and you tell people to have an open mind. By your standards I'm not British

ReputationRep:
    I don't need someone who lives in 1500 to tell me I need an open mind. And no, I am not watching the video as I am not interested in what he has to say, especially not for a whole hour.

PS: Christopher Hitchens had a British passport, therefore he was British. Just because somebody doesn't agree with you doesn't mean they aren't British.
    Given that I am the most open minded person on her to understand things like Legacy and the Soul you honestly do need me telling you to be open minded.

No it means he had a British pass port, not that he was British. And wanted to maintain Britain. It isn't because I disagreed with him, rather because he wanted to do away with institutions of the nation state.

ReputationRep:
    and you tell people to have an open mind. By your standards I'm not British
    Indeed.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately for you, people live according to the law, not according to your unique definitions made up by you.
    If only people did live according to the law.

ReputationRep:
    Funnily enough, in the video Peter Hitchens has a real go at people who don't actually consume the media which they talk about

Also, who is 'Own Jones'? :p:

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.