x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Upon checking the unanswered threads today, I was greeted by 6 pages of posts which were mainly spam, all from the past 7 hours or so.

It really is annoying and happens quite a lot. I'd imagine it prevents peoples threads being answered, too, as people won't want to have a "search for what's not spam" hunt :nah:

Back when I was CA in the WL, the first thing I'd do if I logged on was check for spam, deal with it and thus keep the area looking tidy. Even if the posts are just moved to a location not seen by the majority of users, and dealt with later, it helps to make TSR look better and less like it's being attacked by advertising for silly things like kitchens or marriage counselling, most of which are in a foreign language anyway (oh the logic :giggle:)

So, questions... :beard:

1) Who is able to deal with it?
    2) If it is only TSR HQ - is nobody able to just do this at the start of the morning?
    3) Is anything being done to prevent all the spam getting on TSR in the first place?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    First thing I see every morning is at least one marriage counselling thread by in another language and Korean threads smh
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Neuth)
    Upon checking the unanswered threads today, I was greeted by 6 pages of posts which were mainly spam, all from the past 7 hours or so.

It really is annoying and happens quite a lot. I'd imagine it prevents peoples threads being answered, too, as people won't want to have a "search for what's not spam" hunt :nah:

Back when I was CA in the WL, the first thing I'd do if I logged on was check for spam, deal with it and thus keep the area looking tidy. Even if the posts are just moved to a location not seen by the majority of users, and dealt with later, it helps to make TSR look better and less like it's being attacked by advertising for silly things like kitchens or marriage counselling, most of which are in a foreign language anyway (oh the logic :giggle:)

So, questions... :beard:

1) Who is able to deal with it?
    2) If it is only TSR HQ - is nobody able to just do this at the start of the morning?
    3) Is anything being done to prevent all the spam getting on TSR in the first place?

Thanks
    1) Anyone from the Support Team (including SLs) and Community Team can deal with it. Only the Community Team are alerted to it via reports, however.

2) N/A

3) Yep - we've been brainstorming some ideas and the CT had a meeting not too long ago to discuss ways of combatting the problem and they've proposed some solutions. :yy:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Neuth)
    Back when I was CA in the WL, the first thing I'd do if I logged on was check for spam, deal with it and thus keep the area looking tidy.
    Isn't this the job of the Support Team? I thought they still had powers to move threads and keep their respective forums tidy. A few days ago the TSR News forum was full of Korean spam for a whole day, even though the ST and SLs for that section were online and posting in other parts of the forum... is it just me who finds that strange? :dong:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    1) Anyone from the Support Team (including SLs) and Community Team can deal with it. Only the Community Team are alerted to it via reports, however.

3) Yep - we've been brainstorming some ideas and the CT had a meeting not too long ago to discuss ways of combatting the problem and they've proposed some solutions. :yy:
    1) So why does it get into a state so often? The support team are usually online and posting things

3) Yay :woo:

(Original post by Snufkin)
    Isn't this the job of the Support Team? I thought they still had powers to move threads and keep their respective forums tidy. A few days ago the TSR News forum was full of Korean spam for a whole day, even though the ST and SLs for that section were online and posting in other parts of the forum... is it just me who finds that strange? :dong:
    Apparently so... oh, what a mystery. It seems nobody wants to deal with it

ReputationRep:
    Sigh, I suppose that lots of spam is better than lots of pork.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neuth)
    1) So why does it get into a state so often? The support team are usually online and posting things

Apparently so... oh, what a mystery. It seems nobody wants to deal with it
    if someone is online they might be posting from their mobile, and its pretty hard to deal with large amounts of spam via the mobile site and especially from the app. Sometimes it has to wait till we can get to a computer. Plus we are human, just because we made a couple of posts between lectures or meetings or something doesn't mean we currently have time to start moving spam around

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The Korean spam comes when it's night in the UK so difficult to get rid of immediately. I live in Japan (which is the same timezone as Korea), and whenever I come on to TSR between 10am - 1pm (around 2am onwards UK time) all I see is spam.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    So I'm assuming that you don't study or work full time? Or you do one of these things and literally go spam hunting? For the majority of the team, this isn't the case and although it's our priority to keep our respective forums tidy it's shouldn't be the main element of the support team role as you of all people should know.

As others have said, the Support team and TSRG are working together into looking at how we can tackle this from the root. Having just a team on the site that all they do is clear spam is not only mind numbing, but will deter people from joining the team.
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Neuth)

It probably seems that way because of the sheer number of spammy posts that are being made. Not only that, but the support team are volunteers, many of whom are now at Uni/working so can only afford to come on here for short periods of time. To remove all that spam during our breaks from RL work while also trying to do the other stuff that's meant to be the main role of the support team now is no easy task.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by TheTechN1304)
    The Korean spam comes when it's night in the UK so difficult to get rid of immediately. I live in Japan (which is the same timezone as Korea), and whenever I come on to TSR between 10am - 1pm (around 2am onwards UK time) all I see is spam.
    This is true. I'm up around any time between 4 and 6am atm, which is when the spammers are rather active.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Slowbro93)
    So I'm assuming that you don't study or work full time? Or you do one of these things and literally go spam hunting? For the majority of the team, this isn't the case and although it's our priority to keep our respective forums tidy it's shouldn't be the main element of the support team role as you of all people should know.

As others have said, the Support team and TSRG are working together into looking at how we can tackle this from the root. Having just a team on the site that all they do is clear spam is not only mind numbing, but will deter people from joining the team.
    I study full time, actually. And no, I don't go hunting for spam. The Korean spam I mentioned was pretty hard to miss, you certainly didn't need to hunt to spot it. Nobody said the STs/SLs exist solely to keep the forums tidy, but that is (or at least should be) a big part of it.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I study full time, actually. And no, I don't go hunting for spam. The Korean spam I mentioned was pretty hard to miss, you certainly didn't need to hunt to spot it. Nobody said the STs/SLs exist solely to keep the forums tidy, but that is (or at least should be) a big part of it.
    Then don't go around on the public forums implying this then.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Slowbro93)
    Then don't go around on the public forums implying this then.
    I didn't imply that. :boring:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I think part of what you need to remember here is that we don't all mod every section - there actually aren't that many mods for TSR News, and even then without reports it can be slower to catch on to spam for those who cover more sections. There's also other things to take into account, such as replying to a quote or making a post takes a minute, searching through all the sections you mod and clearing out the spam there takes considerably longer. Especially if, as Odd socks said, you're browsing from mobile.

It's also worth noting that you only see the spam that's remaining on site, not what's already been cleared; sometimes there will be a bunch across the site and it looks like the Support Team aren't doing anything about it, when in actuality there's several more pages of it that we've already removed.

Given a lot of us are putting at least some effort into content generation now, the last thing we want is for the forum to be clogged up with spam. It draws attention away from the more important threads, and means members aren't getting as many responses to genuine posts. We're doing what we can to clear out the spam, but unfortunately it's somewhat of a case of bear with us while we try and put in more long-term solutions, and just report the spam you're coming across.

(Original post by Neuth)
    More than anything, because the spam is at a considerably higher level than it has been before. And as I mentioned above, we only cover certain sections - I can be online and posting, but I'd still be useless to remove content from Football, say, as I don't have powers there. So it may seem like a lot of us are online and not doing anything about it, but a lot of the time that will be for a reason, not simply that we don't want to handle the spam.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't imply that. :boring:
    I rather think you did. You seem to think that we have nothing else to do. The 'keeping the forums tidy' is right at the bottom of a log list of duties we are required to do:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...f-the-TSR-team

There are currently discussions underway within TSR management to try and prevent this onslaught happening by some technical methods I'm not privy to, so as far as I am concerned, it's being handled as best it can be for the moment, and I'm getting on with the rest of the job.

Perhaps you would like to help us out by applying to join the team, since you clearly want to do something useful.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    It's also worth noting that you only see the spam that's remaining on site, not what's already been cleared; sometimes there will be a bunch across the site and it looks like the Support Team aren't doing anything about it, when in actuality there's several more pages of it that we've already removed.
    It's not overly unusual for me to (or rather, wasn't - haven't had htis since last week) to be removing some 100 threads of spam. That took me one hour at least. Yet, a user could go in there whilst I was in the middle of doing it and it looks as though I'm not doing anything.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by OU Student)
    It's not overly unusual for me to (or rather, wasn't - haven't had htis since last week) to be removing some 100 threads of spam. That took me one hour at least. Yet, a user could go in there whilst I was in the middle of doing it and it looks as though I'm not doing anything.
    Exactly this - I've spent most mornings this week trying to clear out various sections, only for a new spammer to have signed up during that time. And I know you and some of the other mods have been spending more time clearing up than I have, especially in the more targeted sections.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    I rather think you did. You seem to think that we have nothing else to do. The 'keeping the forums tidy' is right at the bottom of a log list of duties we are required to do:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...f-the-TSR-team

There are currently discussions underway within TSR management to try and prevent this onslaught happening by some technical methods I'm not privy to, so as far as I am concerned, it's being handled as best it can be for the moment, and I'm getting on with the rest of the job.

Perhaps you would like to help us out by applying to join the team, since you clearly want to do something useful.
    I don't think I did, but if there is any confusion, let me be very clear - I think some forum sections aren't checked regularly enough by their ST/SLs. I have thought this for a long time, well before the mod changes came about. That is not same as expecting STs/SLs to spend all their time managing spam / making sure threads are posted in the proper forums.

I realise you have other responsibilities on TSR, and heck nobody wants to spend all their free time combing through posts to find spam - but there is a simple answer to this, get more STs/CAs.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I don't think I did, but if there is any confusion, let me be very clear - I think some forum sections aren't checked regularly enough by their ST/SLs. I have thought this for a long time, well before the mod changes came about. That is not same as expecting STs/SLs to spend all their time managing spam / making sure threads are posted in the proper forums.

I realise you have other responsibilities on TSR, and heck nobody wants to spend all their free time combing through posts to find spam - but there is a simple answer to this, get more STs/CAs.
    A lot of the spam comes about when people are in bed. Getting more STs / CAs won't change that.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.