Turn on thread page Beta

Gaps in education and Personal Statement watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm currently writing my personal statement to apply for Biology at university. Due to mental health issues my secondary education is very scattered and splotchy.

I attended one secondary school until partway through year 8, when my issues escalated and i found myself unable to leave the house. I then attended a grammar school during year 9, hoping that a change of surrounding would ease my anxiety. This wasn't the case and i only attended for a few weeks in the first term. Because of the cost of paying for a school i wasn't attending, my parents pulled me out and managed to get me a place back at y previous secondary. I attended this school for years 10 and 11, during which time i was unable to join the general populous due to my head being a shed, and was placed in a 'sheltered' classroom and taught one on one by teachers. Because of these problems i only attained GCSEs in Maths, English Language, English Literature and a Science Double Award. After l;leaving and entering college my mental issues gradually faded and i would consider myself 'better'.

My question is this.
    Should i totally gloss over this in my personal statement?

I feel that the one on one tutoring, the time for independent learning, the fact i passed the entrance exam for the grammar school - beating the scores of year 11 students while i was 13 - and getting 5 A-Cs at GCSE despite the upheaval in my life have all been brilliant opportunities and achievements, but with universities being the institutions that they are, i feel that they will frown upon my patchy education.

Thankyou.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ganx)
    Hi,
    I'm currently writing my personal statement to apply for Biology at university. Due to mental health issues my secondary education is very scattered and splotchy.

I attended one secondary school until partway through year 8, when my issues escalated and i found myself unable to leave the house. I then attended a grammar school during year 9, hoping that a change of surrounding would ease my anxiety. This wasn't the case and i only attended for a few weeks in the first term. Because of the cost of paying for a school i wasn't attending, my parents pulled me out and managed to get me a place back at y previous secondary. I attended this school for years 10 and 11, during which time i was unable to join the general populous due to my head being a shed, and was placed in a 'sheltered' classroom and taught one on one by teachers. Because of these problems i only attained GCSEs in Maths, English Language, English Literature and a Science Double Award. After l;leaving and entering college my mental issues gradually faded and i would consider myself 'better'.

My question is this.
    Should i totally gloss over this in my personal statement?

I feel that the one on one tutoring, the time for independent learning, the fact i passed the entrance exam for the grammar school - beating the scores of year 11 students while i was 13 - and getting 5 A-Cs at GCSE despite the upheaval in my life have all been brilliant opportunities and achievements, but with universities being the institutions that they are, i feel that they will frown upon my patchy education.

Thankyou.
    This would probably best be covered by your referee.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.