Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Heartache; about to relocate across the country to be with partner- causing problems watch

Hi all,

I am due to move across the country to be with my partner whom I love so much. I love her to pieces, we're very close and have been engaged a year. Met at university.

She moved in with her father post-uni, and decided to move into a rented house afterward, where I'd follow because there is plenty of opportunity where she is (big UK city).

Problem is; I am starting to feel homesick already. Not necessarily the people, but the area, familiarity, the accent, the region. Everything is different here; the dialect, people are streetwise, it can be rough around edges. At home, I live in a leafy village, the people are friendly, its safer, people don't look at me like I'm an alien. I've lived in small places all my life, problem is, all the prospects are here for graduates.

I have stress from worrying about our finances, trying to find a job:- the only job I can find are fast food/hotel work, which I've already done before graduating.

I had a similar problem when I moved for university in 2011, I became ill and depressed so I moved back home (couldn't hack it). Went to my hometown uni. Now I am moved out with my mrs. but its happening again! :/
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi all,

I am due to move across the country to be with my partner whom I love so much. I love her to pieces, we're very close and have been engaged a year. Met at university.

She moved in with her father post-uni, and decided to move into a rented house afterward, where I'd follow because there is plenty of opportunity where she is (big UK city).

Problem is; I am starting to feel homesick already. Not necessarily the people, but the area, familiarity, the accent, the region. Everything is different here; the dialect, people are streetwise, it can be rough around edges. At home, I live in a leafy village, the people are friendly, its safer, people don't look at me like I'm an alien. I've lived in small places all my life, problem is, all the prospects are here for graduates.

I have stress from worrying about our finances, trying to find a job:- the only job I can find are fast food/hotel work, which I've already done before graduating.

I had a similar problem when I moved for university in 2011, I became ill and depressed so I moved back home (couldn't hack it). Went to my hometown uni. Now I am moved out with my mrs. but its happening again! :/
    I've not been in the same situation but is there anything you can do that might feel a bit more normal? It sounds like a huge change and really difficult to cope with, but if you can find some things the same or even go for walks and stuff to be more familiar with your surroundings then that could help. On a similar note, it could be helpful to get a job similar to one you've done before? I know it's not what you're looking for at all but if that gets you back into working, some money and out of the house (which is what I'm assuming you want- sorry if not) then that could be a really good thing, and you can continue looking for a graduate job once you're there. I can see why you might not want to though. You could also go back home for a few days or something but I think this can sometimes make things worse for people and them not wanting to go back afterwards so not sure. They're the only things I can think of anyway.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 21, 2015
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.