Turn on thread page Beta

Which couse do i choose to get the quals to go to uni to become a teacher watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I just left secondary school with 5 good gcses A-C including english, maths, science ict and humanities. I know that to become a teacher you need a undergraduate Degree and a PGCE.

I chose to do a retail apprentiship at a well known department store however I dont like it and want to get into teaching.

I know you need a fair ammount of UCAS to get onto a teaching course (280-320) but am not sure which course to go on to get the ucas points to do teaching.

I know the options are a BTEC level 3 extended diploma, alevels and an acsess course when im 19.

I would feel so silly being in classes with people a year younger. Does anyone know someone who has had this experience/been in a similar situation? Which option should I choose? Is this feesable?

Help!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I am a year older than everyone in my class (going A-levels) and I couldn't care less. Some people who are older than you may still be a lot more immature, and people who are younger might be a lot mature than you.

Everything depends on which uni you want to go to. If you want to go to average/top, DON'T DO btec (it's like a-levels for stupid people, won't get you as many ucas point...) The best route would probably be A-levels if you're willing to work hard. If you choose this route - definitely take PSYCHOLOGY Also, consider what teacher you'd like to be.
    Do what makes you happy. Nothing comes easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saule1116)
    I am a year older than everyone in my class (going A-levels) and I couldn't care less. Some people who are older than you may still be a lot more immature, and people who are younger might be a lot mature than you.

Everything depends on which uni you want to go to. If you want to go to average/top, DON'T DO btec (it's like a-levels for stupid people, won't get you as many ucas point...) The best route would probably be A-levels if you're willing to work hard. If you choose this route - definitely take PSYCHOLOGY Also, consider what teacher you'd like to be.
    BTEC can get you 420 UCAS points. I do BTEC and I'm a year older than most people on my course. No problems with it. It isn't A levels for thick people.

It is hard work, but most universities do accept it. If you want to go to a former teacher training college, a BTEC will be fine. They are often better for teaching than Russell Group unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Wow wow wow thank you so much, I was thinking primary school teaching (possibly at uwe or bath spa)! Yes, I mean, id rather do a betc if I'm honest but like you said, nothing comes easy

And yes! Before I decided to do my apprentiship (which obvs i dint like) I was going to do psychology, RE geog and health and social applied. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! What btec are you doing to become a teacher? AND I agree as I was never sure alevels were the best route for me anyway.
    And yes, I wasnt going for a russle group uni, i was thinking more on he lines of UWE ?

Good luck in your course and thank u for ur advise!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H987654)
    Wow wow wow thank you so much, I was thinking primary school teaching (possibly at uwe or bath spa)! Yes, I mean, id rather do a betc if I'm honest but like you said, nothing comes easy

And yes! Before I decided to do my apprentiship (which obvs i dint like) I was going to do psychology, RE geog and health and social applied. What do you think?
    Health and social applied sounds good, as well as psychology (as I said before). However, I think you should include English and (maybe) Maths as well. This seems to be the way to go from my point of view, but you can always message the universities/colleges that you are planning to go to, asking them which is the best route if you want to go into teaching.

ReputationRep:
    Health and social applied sounds good, as well as psychology (as I said before). However, I think you should include English and (maybe) Maths as well. This seems to be the way to go from my point of view, but you can always message the universities/colleges that you are planning to go to, asking them which is the best route if you want to go into teaching.
    Ahhhh ok , I get what you mean about english & maths bcus national curriculum subjects etc. But I dont think id do maths and Im not sure how heavy eng lang woukd be as a subject..,, I woukd of pribs dropped it after AS.

Maybe, h&social +psych+geog/or RE+ Sociology????

I might end up doing btec health and social exted diploma tho ??( ill chat to my fam about it tbh.)

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhh ok , I get what you mean about english & maths bcus national curriculum subjects etc. But I dont think id do maths and Im not sure how heavy eng lang woukd be as a subject..,, I woukd of pribs dropped it after AS.

I might end up doing btec health and social exted diploma tho ??( ill chat to my fam about it tbh.)

Cheers
    Like I said, contacting unis or talking to your college might be the best.
    If you do think that BTEC is the best option for you, then go for it.
    Either way, consider your options carefully.
    Good luck to you!

ReputationRep:
    Like I said, contacting unis or talking to your college might be the best.
    If you do think that BTEC is the best option for you, then go for it.
    Either way, consider your options carefully.
    Good luck to you!
    Thanks for the advice really appreciate it

Good luck 2 u 2

ReputationRep:

Cheers
    I do that BTEC! Really good. Really interesting. You get to do safeguarding training as a module, which is HIGHLY relevant to primary teaching.

I've also done AS psychology and sociology. They are both really interesting, sociology looks at education, but it is mostly theoretical.

It is hard work, but it's good if you prefer coursework to exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.