The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KRowland
I got an offer from Durham this morning for Law with foundation, The offer includes the LNAT i was just wondering what type of score i will have to get in the LNAT as it is foundation? surely it can't be the same as Law without foundation? also i haven't sat the LNAT is it still okay to sit it?

I imagine that Durham won't expect as high an LNAT score for Law with foundation, but because you will be sitting the LNAT after January 15th, you won't find out what your score is until July, which is kinda annoying :/
I really don't know what to expect because I've got no idea what to prepare for!
Original post by thepgsboy2016
Just received an Unconditional offer for Law with Business Studies at Birmingham! :biggrin:
Finally some news from somewhere after waiting soooooo long!

LNAT: 28

Hey :smile: I scored 28 on the LNAT too, and you're probably the only other person I've seen on here who has applied for that course. I applied for Warwick's Law and Business Studies degree as well as Birmingham's and received offers for both awhile back, but I'm still rather hesitant about going for either. I'm considering emailing them to request for a transfer to the pure LLB degree, as I'm doubtful as to whether I can become a practising lawyer with a combined/dual law degree.

I'm interested in learning about business as well as law, but is this course considered as two qualifying degrees for both business and law?

If anyone knows anything about this subject please do enlighten!
Original post by fire_and_ice
Anyone with an offer from King's College here? I'm still waiting for my response :frown:

I'm still waiting as well! Applied back at the end of September!
Original post by thepgsboy2016
Just received an Unconditional offer for Law with Business Studies at Birmingham! :biggrin:
Finally some news from somewhere after waiting soooooo long!

LNAT: 28

I got an unconditional from Birmingham for that course too!! Well done :smile:
Does anyon ehave any opinions on law with criminology at Salford?
Original post by anitatoz
Hey :smile: I scored 28 on the LNAT too, and you're probably the only other person I've seen on here who has applied for that course. I applied for Warwick's Law and Business Studies degree as well as Birmingham's and received offers for both awhile back, but I'm still rather hesitant about going for either. I'm considering emailing them to request for a transfer to the pure LLB degree, as I'm doubtful as to whether I can become a practising lawyer with a combined/dual law degree.

I'm interested in learning about business as well as law, but is this course considered as two qualifying degrees for both business and law?

If anyone knows anything about this subject please do enlighten!

Currently, you HAVE to have an LLB law to begin practising as a lawyer (after lpc/pupillage post grad).

However, the SRA are examining the LLB and it may in a few years time no longer be considered a qualifying law degree and require further training. So look into that, and if that's the case there's no difference between BA and LLB as law degrees for lawyers/solicitors as both have to do further examinations post grad.
Original post by Kitta
Currently, you HAVE to have an LLB law to begin practising as a lawyer (after lpc/pupillage post grad).

However, the SRA are examining the LLB and it may in a few years time no longer be considered a qualifying law degree and require further training. So look into that, and if that's the case there's no difference between BA and LLB as law degrees for lawyers/solicitors as both have to do further examinations post grad.

Not really. You can study any degree and then top it with the GDL, which makes it equal to the LLB.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by *Stefan*
Not really. You can study any degree and then top it with the GDL, which makes it equal to the LLB.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True, but why study law and business to then do another conversion course of law for a 4 year, more expensive course?

Taking the 3 year LLB is the better, cheaper option.
Original post by Kitta
True, but why study law and business to then do another conversion course of law for a 4 year, more expensive course?

Taking the 3 year LLB is the better, cheaper option.

The Law and Business course can be qualifying if s/he picks the subjects required.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by izzzler
I'm still waiting as well! Applied back at the end of September!

I applied early December and have got all my other responses back. I've decided on my firm and insurance, but I'm still curious.
Original post by MZS15
the waiting is killing me, i have no idea what is taking them this long... really hope we will hear back from them this month! yes, king's is my favorite so i think id firm them
what about you, is it your first choice?

Ahh I hope you hear back soon then! I really liked Kings but I'm firming LSE. Just want to hear back from them so I can make my firm choice already:smile:
Reply 2272
Did anyone who applied in January get any replies yet?
Original post by kgsj20
Ahh I hope you hear back soon then! I really liked Kings but I'm firming LSE. Just want to hear back from them so I can make my firm choice already:smile:

You too but i wouldn't worry too much since you have LSE! My dream choice is LSE but still waiting, trying to keep the faith :smile: How were your gcse's and LNAT?
Original post by returnmigrant
Law isn't 'lenient' - they don't need to be. They will have people with the right grades (and higher) queuing up for a place in Adjustment, so they don't need to be kind to anyone who misses their offer. Yes, sometimes your grades might be accepted - but you cannot rely on this. If you genuinely think you wont get the grades required don't have this as your Firm. If you do get amazing grades in August, then you can reapply next year with known grades - far, far safer.

No Uni will tell you at this stage that they will accept alternative grades - a) they will look like a softtouch who don't take their own offers seriously and b) they have no idea how many people will fulfil their offers come August., so no idea how many 'near misses' (if any) they might accept.

The reason I asked was because Nottingham are giving out offers lower then their standard offer so surely they must not meet requirements every year and can therefore afford to be flexible when it comes to results day. That being said if i were to marginally miss the grades do you think they would perhaps be lenient as they are already giving out offers for AAA on an A*AA course before exams and results have even been sat and collected.
And with regard to adjustment and clearing Nottingham for law have never participated in it in a good many years so I doubt that they would be accepting candidates from such avenues.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by qwertyuipdoe
The reason I asked was because Nottingham are giving out offers lower then their standard offer .

All Universities give 'Contextual Offers', lower offers for those from low performing schools, as part of their widening participation commitment. This doesn't mean they will accept lower grades from everyone else on Results Day.
Original post by returnmigrant
All Universities give 'Contextual Offers', lower offers for those from low performing schools, as part of their widening participation commitment. This doesn't mean they will accept lower grades from everyone else on Results Day.

Not all of those with lower offers are due to the widening participation scheme... Many come from above average backgrounds
Original post by qwertyuipdoe
Not all of those with lower offers are due to the widening participation scheme... Many come from above average backgrounds

It's a bit strange. My son got 7A* and4A's at GCSE even though his dad died in the middle of them . He also got 31 in the LNAT and had an offer two weeks after the email so he must have been a good applicant. Offer was A*AA.
Reply 2278
So far, I've only received an offer from Leeds. Still waiting on LSE, Durham, QMUL and KCL..Has anyone received an offer from any of these yet?
Original post by R.Ben
So far, I've only received an offer from Leeds. Still waiting on LSE, Durham, QMUL and KCL..Has anyone received an offer from any of these yet?

Out of your list I have offers from LSE and Durham but applied back in September. LSE took about 4 months to get back to me and Durham 3 months

Latest