The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IDKY
Has anyone heard back from Edinburgh? apparently they take a long time deciding, but I actually got an offer after two months:smile:

That's cool. What will you be studying. Yeah they are pretty slow but with about 60,000 applicant this year it is t really surprising.
Original post by oli19919
Well done on your offers! That's excellent! I'd go for Bristol as location is better to and I think there law department is ever so slightly more reputable...

I think I have already asked you these 3 questions (as I appear to have done with everyone!), but...

1) What did you get at GCSE please?
2) How did you find the interview? Anything surprise you?
3) When did you start the 'learning' part for GCSEs? Any tips for (i)GCSE revision? (Particularly with French and how much I should be revising generally)

Congrats again!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think i've already answered similar questions from you before but I'll summarise them again here (if you want more detail then scroll up) :smile:

1) 11A* 1A

2) I found the interviews really enjoyable, I love debates and asserting my opinions so the interviews played to my strengths. My main piece of advice is to just be yourself, not just because it's going to be hard to sustain this fake persona for 3 years, but because I feel it would help me to cope with a rejection. By this I mean that I know in my interviews I was 100% me, acted how I would normally and didn't censor any opinions. Therefore I told myself that if I got a rejection, it wasnt because I wasnt good enough, it was because I didn't fit the 'Oxford' model and would consequently be better suited elsewhere.

3) The only French revision I did at GCSE was reading key vocab lists and past papers- it's a hard subject to revise for, it becomes a lot more 'revise-able' at A Level.

I started the early stages of the learning part in feb half term because we had mocks after half term, but in some subjects this was impossible as we were still finishing the course all the way up to study leave. Basically start learning ASAP, but don't neglect exam technique as at the end of the day '"it's not what you know, it's what you write" (a quote from one of my teachers which was plastered all over her classroom, it's quite upsetting really but sadly that's the way it is)
Original post by crocface
I think it works like this.
You have assumed that a) predictions = results, b) that a University can control who goes Firm there, and c) that A level results remain totally consistent year on year.

If all of this were true I and many other academics would have a very easy life.
Original post by LoveToArgue
Does anyone have any advice on which to put as my insurance choice?

Offers received:
Oxford AAA (firm)
Bristol AAA-A*AB
Warwick AAA
LSE A*AA
Durham A*AA

LSE and Durham are both higher than the AAA I need for Oxford so I doubt I'll put either of those as my insurance. It's between Warwick and Bristol- I like the A*AB variation for Bristol as I think I can get at least one A*, but I wondered if Warwick would allow me to get AAB but still get in? Does anyone have any idea about how lenient Warwick can be? Thanks

I'm in pretty much the same situation, but without Warwick. I think I will firm Oxford, and have Bristol as my insurance because for some reason I didn't apply anywhere with a lower offer. (KCL, LSE, Durham) I regret that now, as I pretty much have to get AAA or I'm not going to uni this year!
Made my choices: Durham firm, Newcastle insurance :smile:
Just received an offier from durham 4h ago!!!!!!! Can't describe the feeling, after two consecutive rejections :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hopeful---
I'm in pretty much the same situation, but without Warwick. I think I will firm Oxford, and have Bristol as my insurance because for some reason I didn't apply anywhere with a lower offer. (KCL, LSE, Durham) I regret that now, as I pretty much have to get AAA or I'm not going to uni this year!

That's excellent! Well done! Sorry to keep asking everyone this.... GCSE grades please?...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LoveToArgue
I think i've already answered similar questions from you before but I'll summarise them again here (if you want more detail then scroll up) :smile:

1) 11A* 1A

2) I found the interviews really enjoyable, I love debates and asserting my opinions so the interviews played to my strengths. My main piece of advice is to just be yourself, not just because it's going to be hard to sustain this fake persona for 3 years, but because I feel it would help me to cope with a rejection. By this I mean that I know in my interviews I was 100% me, acted how I would normally and didn't censor any opinions. Therefore I told myself that if I got a rejection, it wasnt because I wasnt good enough, it was because I didn't fit the 'Oxford' model and would consequently be better suited elsewhere.

3) The only French revision I did at GCSE was reading key vocab lists and past papers- it's a hard subject to revise for, it becomes a lot more 'revise-able' at A Level.

I started the early stages of the learning part in feb half term because we had mocks after half term, but in some subjects this was impossible as we were still finishing the course all the way up to study leave. Basically start learning ASAP, but don't neglect exam technique as at the end of the day '"it's not what you know, it's what you write" (a quote from one of my teachers which was plastered all over her classroom, it's quite upsetting really but sadly that's the way it is)

OK thanks a lot, sorry for making you repeat yourself! Congrats again. I'm not sure whether you want to say which college you have been offered a place for (some people don't wanna post it on here) so just how was the experience at Oxford aside from the interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2768
Original post by bagella
Just got an offer from Nottingham over 5 months since I applied! Definitetly firming them as they were my favourite and they gave me an AAA offer even though their standard offer is A*AA and that's what I'm predicted! Good luck to everyone else hearing from them :smile:

Well done! Do you know why you got the AAA offer? Jealous as my a*aa will be hard to get
Original post by Satoshii
congrats :smile: WW is where i realllyyy want to go, what did they ask for if i may ask? :smile:

They asked for AAA :smile:
Just heard back from Durham! Such a relief right now
Original post by PandyyCD97
Just heard back from Durham! Such a relief right now

Congrats!!
On the weekend!?
Original post by SebastianCanuck
Congrats!!
On the weekend!?

Thank you! :smile: Yeah, 2 days ago but UCAS only sent me an email last night!

Where have you applied?
Reply 2773
Recieved an offer from Nogttingham of AAA last night! Which leaves Bristol to reply - got offers from York and Exeter, rejection from Oxford
Original post by PandyyCD97
Thank you! :smile: Yeah, 2 days ago but UCAS only sent me an email last night!

Where have you applied?

Edinburgh, Bristol, KCL, QMUL and Durham. I have offers from Edinburgh, Bristol and QMUL, my first choice KCL rejected me, so I'm pretty much lost as to where I want to go.
Edinburgh, Bristol, KCL, QMUL and Durham. I have offers from Edinburgh, Bristol and QMUL, my first choice KCL rejected me, so I'm pretty much lost as to where I want to go.

Bristol!! I'd rather go to Bristol than KCL anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rubyobrien
Recieved an offer from Nogttingham of AAA last night! Which leaves Bristol to reply - got offers from York and Exeter, rejection from Oxford

Well done! Sorry to hear about Oxford, was it post-interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh I also have an offer from Bristol :tongue: My first choice was LSE but I got rejected.

Are you still waiting to hear back from Durham? It really depends where you want to study I guess? They're all pretty good unis for Law, so wherever you choose will be fine :smile:
Reply 2778

Did they say why AAA instead of A*AA?
Reply 2779

congrats!! any idea which you'll firm and insure?

Latest

Trending

Trending