The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I was wondering if anyone was applying for the HKU programme at UCL?
Original post by Ruby17
My LNAT went down the drain too :frown: I applied to KCL and durham too :"(

same I am dying to hear back from KCL it's 100% my first choice :frown: when did u apply?
Original post by siri29
Hey, I was wondering if anyone was applying for the HKU programme at UCL?

I was a bit interested in the programme as it could give me interesting opportunities but saw that the tuition fees in HKU are high as f***.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bobkata
I was a bit interested in the programme as it could give me interesting opportunities but saw that the tuition fees in HKU are high as f***.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahaha true but compared to the UK fees for internationals they're pretty decent
Original post by JohnGreek
I'd actually be more interested in the student exchange LSE and UCL do with Columbia in the US - if you're gonna pay a ****ton in fees, might as well do it in a country where legal careers pay well :P (or at least in NY)

Yeah I would love to go there as well, but i thought may as well give HKU a chance but another 500 word ps :/
Original post by kingofacademics
same I am dying to hear back from KCL it's 100% my first choice :frown: when did u apply?

We're on the same boat :"( I applied on October 13 but I took my LNAT on the 7th of january. How about you and how was your LNAT?
Reply 1066
Original post by PollaPulchra197
OH YAY!!!!! Same I haven't found anyone!!!!!! We should start a thread! I'm from Oxford originally, what about you? X

I'm from London and my first choice was originally UCL but they've not even got back to me yet. Are you definitely firming? I'm really anxious about the heavy work load and the fact that the Oxford course is more theoretical and they you can only pick two out of twelve modules (in straight law at least). Do you speak fluent German or are you learning it at school?
Does QM or Manchester have a better Law course?
Original post by asgunsur

http://d1d1tdqerevjwu.cloudfront.net/resources/2013/What_is_a_good_university.pdf
According to this report, it is quite obvious which is the better law school. Manchester is a top university targeted by employers.
However, QMUL law course is recently gaining popularity and they invested a lot in it :smile:
Original post by fs1
I'm from London and my first choice was originally UCL but they've not even got back to me yet. Are you definitely firming? I'm really anxious about the heavy work load and the fact that the Oxford course is more theoretical and they you can only pick two out of twelve modules (in straight law at least). Do you speak fluent German or are you learning it at school?

I think I'm definitely gonna firm. It's kind of been a dream for ages and I don't mind that the course is more theory based. Plus the modern language aspect there is really good in comparison to my other offers. I don't speak it fluently, but I'm not too bad, I do it at A Level yeah. UCL would be amazing too though. I guess it kind of depends how you feel when/if you get the UCL offer.

What a levels do you do? Xx
Have a lot of people had rejections back from kings? :/
Reply 1071
I think I'm definitely gonna firm. It's kind of been a dream for ages and I don't mind that the course is more theory based. Plus the modern language aspect there is really good in comparison to my other offers. I don't speak it fluently, but I'm not too bad, I do it at A Level yeah. UCL would be amazing too though. I guess it kind of depends how you feel when/if you get the UCL offer.

What a levels do you do? Xx

I do English lit, French and philosophy and ethics. How about you? I am so excited and terrified about the whole Oxford thing but maybe that's a good thing. Just gonna keep thinking over it.
Original post by fs1
I do English lit, French and philosophy and ethics. How about you? I am so excited and terrified about the whole Oxford thing but maybe that's a good thing. Just gonna keep thinking over it.

I do English Lit Lang, German, and Maths. It is really exciting to be honest!!!! I'm just dreading exams now because the stakes are so much higher!!!! X
Reply 1073
I do English Lit Lang, German, and Maths. It is really exciting to be honest!!!! I'm just dreading exams now because the stakes are so much higher!!!! X

I know what you mean- yes we've gotten past the first hurdle with the offer but it doesn't guarantee anything just yet! But it will definitely be good motivation. 🙈
(edited 8 years ago)
Does anyone know how many places KCL has for straight law students?
Original post by seasoning
Does anyone know how many places KCL has for straight law students?

~300

I would definitely say QM, it's far more competitive and so the high calibre is reflected in the percentage of 2:1s (higher than Manchester)
http://d1d1tdqerevjwu.cloudfront.net/resources/2013/What_is_a_good_university.pdf whilst this is generally useful it's now slightly outdated and is not necessarily a true reflection
Also if you look a world rankings QM is at 45 whereas Manchester is 67th (also I think the legal advice centre is a really good thing about the course!)
Original post by kirblaw3
I would definitely say QM, it's far more competitive and so the high calibre is reflected in the percentage of 2:1s (higher than Manchester)
http://d1d1tdqerevjwu.cloudfront.net/resources/2013/What_is_a_good_university.pdf whilst this is generally useful it's now slightly outdated and is not necessarily a true reflection
Also if you look a world rankings QM is at 45 whereas Manchester is 67th (also I think the legal advice centre is a really good thing about the course!)

Hi! Thank you for your answer. Can you post the link of the world rankings please? Because all the world rankings that I have looked at say that Manchester is 40th and Queen Mary is somewhere between 151-200 . :frown:

And Manchester also has a legal advice centre, which makes the decision even harder.

Do you have more pro arguments for QM ? :smile: haha I need to be convinced
Hi! Thank you for your answer. Can you post the link of the world rankings please? Because all the world rankings that I have looked at say that Manchester is 40th and Queen Mary is somewhere between 151-200 . :frown:

And Manchester also has a legal advice centre, which makes the decision even harder.

Do you have more pro arguments for QM ? :smile: haha I need to be convinced

http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2015/may/25/university-guide-2016-league-table-for-law

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Law

Thank you! Btw, I am an international student but I intend to stay in the UK after studying Law. Do you think that overall rankings matter more or subject specific rankings?

Latest

Trending

Trending