The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by elise1998
Has anyone heard from durham?

And would you pick durham or ucl if you hope to progress into advocacy or top law firms? I know they are both outstanding but what are all your personal opinions?

Also, both excellent Uni's so congrats! Can I ask what you got at GCSE please

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by oli19919
Thanks for the quick reply, how are you finding the accomodation? And I hate to ask this question but it's what I get asked all the time: 'Aren't you scared about how competitive it is to be a lawyer?'. I'd always thought it wouldn't be AS bad if you went to a great RG like Bristol?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Accommodation is okay... I do like my flat and the services are great, but it's not anything spectacular. I'd have preferred some other accommodation site like Orchard Heights which is amazing.

Even those at Oxbridge fear the competition - being at the top end of the universities is helpful but doesn't mean it's gonna be easier. Not at all I would say. We do get presentations, games, invitations and whatnot all the time, and it is somewhat reassuring, but it doesn't make a TC easier to get.
Original post by *Stefan*
It's been amazing. Very, very demanding but amazing! The tutors are very supportive and I'm having a blast with the course (makes you wonder at people who call it boring tbh).

The only downsides are that the exam venue is pretty far away and cold (you're not allowed to wear jackets) and perhaps the structure of the university - lectures and tutorials are held all over the place and it does get somewhat tiresome.

I didn't take GCSEs myself (not from the UK and didn't study at an international school).

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would love to go to Bristol, patiently waiting, as it will be my last reply. What was your LNAT score? Thank you!
Also, both excellent Uni's so congrats! Can I ask what you got at GCSE please

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in love with london and cities but a few people have said to me that Durham is leagues ahead, I think i will go with UCL i fell in love with it!
Thanks i got 6A* and 7A!
How is your application- and thanks for the advice!
Original post by dodo15
I would love to go to Bristol, patiently waiting, as it will be my last reply. What was your LNAT score? Thank you!

Either 28 or 29 - can't remember the exact one.

Best of luck though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm in love with london and cities but a few people have said to me that Durham is leagues ahead, I think i will go with UCL i fell in love with it!
Thanks i got 6A* and 7A!

Leagues ahead of what? UCL?

Not at all. Go to UCL since you loved it there!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks i got 6A* and 7A!

Ok, sounds good! Well done!

Im only in Year 11 haha so won't be applying for a couple of years (sorry if you're a bit offended a year 11 is giving out advice to those two years older). Personally, I'd love to go to Bristol or Durham (or Oxford of course, but that's very unlikely). Anyway GCSE's in less than 4 months... hope I haven't left it too late!..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why do people never really consider Newcastle when looking at top unis for Law? It's 13th on the ranking, above the likes of Queen Mary, Warick and just below Bristol and York. Plus doesn't require LNAT so you'd think some would have it at least as a back up for their other LNAT choices. Not complaining lol just curious??
Original post by kingofacademics
Why do people never really consider Newcastle when looking at top unis for Law? It's 13th on the ranking, above the likes of Queen Mary, Warick and just below Bristol and York. Plus doesn't require LNAT so you'd think some would have it at least as a back up for their other LNAT choices. Not complaining lol just curious??

Yeeeeeees!!!! Exactly what I wanted to say! Newcastle is a top uni and people underestimate it. Why? Is there any specific reason. According to some reports, many Newcastle grads go to top law firms.
Same thing applies to Sheffield :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok, sounds good! Well done!

Im only in Year 11 haha so won't be applying for a couple of years (sorry if you're a bit offended a year 11 is giving out advice to those two years older). Personally, I'd love to go to Bristol or Durham (or Oxford of course, but that's very unlikely). Anyway GCSE's in less than 4 months... hope I haven't left it too late!..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha bless not a problem I just wanted to find out how people personally viewed the two unis!
I just recieved an offer from Bristol I loved it there too and i might insure as the grades are slightly lower!
Four months is april?!
I started proper revision after Feb half term!
5/5 offers :biggrin:

Offers received from: Nottingham, King's, Bristol, Cambridge, Durham - in that order.

Durham and Notts both gave me an offer of AAA, has anyone else received a lowered offer from Durham? Do you guys have any idea as to why they may lower their offers?
Haha bless not a problem I just wanted to find out how people personally viewed the two unis!
I just recieved an offer from Bristol I loved it there too and i might insure as the grades are slightly lower!
Four months is april?!
I started proper revision after Feb half term!

Excellent, the city is beautiful.

First exam for me is 3rd May but it's english language, then week later is french, then in middle of May they start properly with one every two days or so...

That's a bit of a relief haha, the plan is to do/finish notes up until Feb half term, then revise/learn/practise from Feb half term bit by bit :tongue:

Tbh just want to get them out of the way so I can no longer study chemistry or French!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mikasa_ackerman

Offers received from: Nottingham, King's, Bristol, Cambridge, Durham - in that order.

Durham and Notts both gave me an offer of AAA, has anyone else received a lowered offer from Durham? Do you guys have any idea as to why they may lower their offers?

They probably value you highly! Or maybe something to do with your school (no offence) if you have got much higher grades than the majority of your year group at the school, as they make have looked at your school's rep/average grades, but I think only Oxbridge do this... What were your gcse grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey :smile: congrats on your offers!!! May I ask when did you apply? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats, btw I love your username ❤️

Hey when did you get your Bristol offer? Congrats, great uni's, well done you!
They probably value you highly! Or maybe something to do with your school (no offence) if you have got much higher grades than the majority of your year group at the school, as they make have looked at your school's rep/average grades, but I think only Oxbridge do this... What were your gcse grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha! None taken. That's exactly what I thought initially, but then someone else in my year at school received an offer with the standard A*AA. Our school is pretty average tbh (although we do have 3 students going to Cambridge this year).

I doubt it's to do with me as a candidate (I'm honestly such an unconventional applicant, especially as I resat Year 12). I got 2A*s 5As 2Bs 2Cs at GCSE and AAAB at AS the second time round with a 90.5% ums average (like I said, I am not the conventional straight A*/A at GCSE and A Level)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Bobkata
Hey :smile: congrats on your offers!!! May I ask when did you apply? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!! Honestly did not think I'd get one offer, yet alone all five, so this feels unreal :blushing:

I applied on the 15th October, and sat my LNAT on the 29th!
Just got an offer through from Cambridge Law which is amazing! Still waiting on my other 4 though - I was really late with sending my application so I may have a bit of a wait!

Has anyone firmed their choices already?
Original post by yusraali
Congrats, btw I love your username ❤️

Original post by dodo15
Hey when did you get your Bristol offer? Congrats, great uni's, well done you!

Thank you both!!

So excited for season two :biggrin:

Technically, Bristol gave me an offer after Cambridge (12th December, early evening)- but I checked UCAS before I checked my email/post :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending