The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vblue77
Just got my final offer from Bristol a few days ago!
Altogether I have(all conditionals)
QMUL (A*AA)
KCL (A*AA)
Bristol (AAA/A*AB)
Manchester (AAA)
Newcastle (AAA)
Have no idea which ones to firm or insure atm though, fml

For me the choice is clear:

1. Firm Kings as its better the QMUL on all counts
2. Bristol as insurance as its better than Manchester or Newcastle
3. Both Manchester and Newcastle were available in clearing last year so you still have a chance at those even if you dont get Kings or Bristol, so definately not worth choosing them
Original post by Audrey18
see above in bold. i bold it for you. hope you understand now.

i don't have any friends in durham. so i can't say unless i watch or listen to the video recordings of the lectures. but i think durham tries to be like oxbridge with its collegiate system. anyways the problem with this forum is that when it comes to law everyone is hung up about rankings and reputation but no one talks about the low level of teaching quality where
1) the number of foreign law lecturers who have difficulty speaking English
2) the number of foreign law lecturers who have difficulty expressing themselves in English
3) the number of foreign law lecturers who are biased in their views when teaching European Union law. You know why?

If UK pulls out of the EU, all these foreign law lecturers teaching in UK unis now will have to return back to their home countries and apply for work permits to work in UK as lecturers. That is not all. They will have to compete with better spoken, knowledgeable and smarter lecturers from the Commonwealth who breath and live the English Common law.

This forum will have to learn the difficult way but by then it will be too late because you'll be stuck in the uni where the lecturers are hopeless and you will be wondering how to score those crucial marks for exams.

Firstly, King's is not better than LSE.

Secondly, that info is so irrelevant is hurts my eyes. If the UK leaves the EU, competition for places will fall and that of course will reduce the quality of the system.

What makes you think lecturers at universities can't speak English?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Please could all of you define 'better'.

What do you think you actually mean by this word - and how are you measuring it?

Or is this just 'I think', 'I assume' or 'My Dad says'?
What exactly are you basing these opinions on?
Bit late but I got an offer from Clare college, Cambridge last week :biggrin:
Still not heard from UCL, Durham or Nottingham but I'm not as fussed anymore
stop talking about rankings and reputation. talk instead about the level of teaching quality. many of the lecturers in the unis that you mentioned are from Europe, Africa and Asia where english is not their first subject. so their accent will be a lot harder to understand. lectures are perhaps once a week for 3 hours and most of the time people will be asleep cos they can't understand what the lecturer is saying. your tutors are PHD or Master in law candidates at the same uni. they will be crucial in helping you to answer your questions.If you ask me this is the order of the london unis in terms of teaching quality for law. Kings > UCL > LSE > Queen Mary > SOAS. How i arrived at this was based on the videos of lectures that my friends in those unis had recorded and kindly sent to me.

Original post by *Stefan*
Firstly, King's is not better than LSE. Secondly, that info is so irrelevant is hurts my eyes. If the UK leaves the EU, competition for places will fall and that of course will reduce the quality of the system. What makes you think lecturers at universities can't talk English?! Posted from TSR Mobile

hey aren't you that greek guy who's in UK to study and famously said on this forum that you would return to greece after you complete your studies to try to solve the financial ruin that your home country Greece is in? how's that plan going about so far? it's so nice to see you here. anyways I wish you all the best of luck. who knows, you could be Greece's PM one day, long long after Alexis Tsipras has done enough damage.

I have listened to all the video recordings of law lectures from Kings, UCL, LSE, Queen Mary and SOAS. Kings was by far the best in terms of accent, lecture delivery, lecturer's ability to engage with the students from time to time, timely breaks and much more.

Original post by returnmigrant
Please could all of you define 'better'.

What do you think you actually mean by this word - and how are you measuring it?

Or is this just 'I think', 'I assume' or 'My Dad says'?
What exactly are you basing these opinions on?

I've never trusted the opinions of the members on this forum because many of them are college students who are naive, bound to listen to people who give them false info and as a result, these college students perpetuate these false info and after sometime, they believe it to be true.

Spoiler

anyways returning to law unis, like i've mentioned before I don't give a damn about rankings and reputation of the uni. what I want to know is if
1) I can understand the lecturer's accent
2) Is the lecturer any good or is he/she just talking gibberish for 3 hours at a stretch?
3) Is the lecturer able to teach and lengthen my attention span with his/her lecture content?
4) Is the lecturer able to answer questions and not say 'oh, can I get back to you later on this as I will need to check the info/I have forgotten' but guess what? Later never comes!
Don't worry about UK pulling out of Europe, it would take years and anyway the UNI lobby or government would not allow the international business to be ruined by kicking out the lecturers. The same reason why USA doesn't kick out all the Brit professors who are helping to keep USA at the forefront of international Education business.
hey aren't you that greek guy who's in UK to study and famously said on this forum that you would return to greece after you complete your studies to try to solve the financial ruin that your home country Greece is in? how's that plan going about so far? it's so nice to see you here. anyways I wish you all the best of luck. who knows, you could be Greece's PM one day, long long after Alexis Tsipras has done enough damage.

I have listened to all the video recordings of law lectures from Kings, UCL, LSE, Queen Mary and SOAS. Kings was by far the best in terms of accent, lecture delivery, lecturer's ability to engage with the students from time to time, timely breaks and much more.

Firstly, I don't think I said I'm gonna fix all of Greece's problems. I did say I want to get back and contribute, and thanks for your wishes, but I doubt I can do much more.

Secondly, I doubt that matters much in terms of programme quality. The fact that someone speaks more clearly or that they make good jokes doesn't mean they are necessarily better than someone who doesn't.

Where did you find all the recordings though?
Original post by kgsj20
I don't know bu some people have offers already and I'm getting anxious! How do you think you did in the LNAT?

I don't know really. I think it went better than the practice ones but then again you can never be too sure with multiple choice questions. The essay was a bit dodgy though...
Has anyone here emailed UCL to ask them when their response will be? If so, did they ask for your UCAS ID? Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bobkata
Has anyone here emailed UCL to ask them when their response will be? If so, did they ask for your UCAS ID? Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got told January and I put my ID in the email
Reply 1370
Original post by JodieHarriett18
QMUL isn't highly thought of as a law school though?

WRONG! Take a look at this :smile:

http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2015/may/25/university-guide-2016-league-table-for-law
Did any KCL applicants send their LNAT ID number to the university through email or the KIng's portal? I'm wondering whether I should do this or not because I've just seen a message on the portal which asked me to send my LNAT number, only this was sent to me two days before I sat my LNAT exam so they hadn't received my results from Pearson at that time! :K:

Well I think everyone knows those rankings are inaccurate... I have an offer from QMUL I'm not trying to be rude, but it's mediocre
Original post by vblue77
Just got my final offer from Bristol a few days ago!
Altogether I have(all conditionals)
QMUL (A*AA)
KCL (A*AA)
Bristol (AAA/A*AB)
Manchester (AAA)
Newcastle (AAA)
Have no idea which ones to firm or insure atm though, fml

Well done! When did you apply?
Im a foreign applicant and took the lnat on 31st dec

Just now i received offer from birmingham and kent but still waiting for king's and nottingham :/
Till now i have not received any email from King's. Is it normal?
Reply 1375
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
Did any KCL applicants send their LNAT ID number to the university through email or the KIng's portal? I'm wondering whether I should do this or not because I've just seen a message on the portal which asked me to send my LNAT number, only this was sent to me two days before I sat my LNAT exam so they hadn't received my results from Pearson at that time! :K:

Yes! Email them just in case. I sat my LNAT, sent off my application, and a few weeks later they asked me for my Pearson Vue account number. I think if you give them your number through the King's Portal, it saves them time matching up your UCAS and your Pearson Vue. Do it just in case because they did request it :smile:
Reply 1376
see above in bold. i bold it for you. hope you understand now.

i don't have any friends in durham. so i can't say unless i watch or listen to the video recordings of the lectures. but i think durham tries to be like oxbridge with its collegiate system. anyways the problem with this forum is that when it comes to law everyone is hung up about rankings and reputation but no one talks about the low level of teaching quality where
1) the number of foreign law lecturers who have difficulty speaking English
2) the number of foreign law lecturers who have difficulty expressing themselves in English
3) the number of foreign law lecturers who are biased in their views when teaching European Union law. You know why?

If UK pulls out of the EU, all these foreign law lecturers teaching in UK unis now will have to return back to their home countries and apply for work permits to work in UK as lecturers. That is not all. They will have to compete with better spoken, knowledgeable and smarter lecturers from the Commonwealth who breath and live the English Common law.

This forum will have to learn the difficult way but by then it will be too late because you'll be stuck in the uni where the lecturers are hopeless and you will be wondering how to score those crucial marks for exams.

This is really quite obscene. In essence you're saying that foreign law lecturers are useless.
I'd like to let you know that I was born in Europe but moved to UK at a young age and although my dad has an accent, he is by far the smartest man I know. He is a professor of Law and several of his also extremely intelligent colleagues are foreign but doesn't that simply highlight the fact that they've worked twice as hard despite a language barrier than their English as first-language speaking counterparts. They certainly would not have been hired if they were not better than the other candidates.
Just because someone has an accent, it does not mean they have 'difficulty speaking English'. Furthermore, I'd rather have a professor who is making amazing points in an accent, than a professor whose points are mediocre and are in English.
You're also saying that European all lecturers will be 'deported' as such which is just not true. Many, like my father, have a British citizenship so please do not assume that 'all these foreign law lecturers teaching in UK unis now will have to return back to their home countries.'
I am really quite shocked at the way you have expressed yourself. If you had articulated your opinions more sensitively and less judgmentally, I might not have been so angry to respond to your sweeping statements.

****ing solid evidence of reputability and quality of the course here!:biggrin:
ffs, this table put UEA above Nottingham and Oxford Brookes above Birmingham.
My application got sent off 11th Jan!
I have applied for
BPP
Uni Of Law
Hertfordshire
Bedfordshire
London Soutbank
I received a conditional offer from BPP literally 2 days after sending my application off which was great :smile:
Original post by Katbo
This is really quite obscene. In essence you're saying that foreign law lecturers are useless.
I'd like to let you know that I was born in Europe but moved to UK at a young age and although my dad has an accent, he is by far the smartest man I know. He is a professor of Law and several of his also extremely intelligent colleagues are foreign but doesn't that simply highlight the fact that they've worked twice as hard despite a language barrier than their English as first-language speaking counterparts. They certainly would not have been hired if they were not better than the other candidates.
Just because someone has an accent, it does not mean they have 'difficulty speaking English'. Furthermore, I'd rather have a professor who is making amazing points in an accent, than a professor whose points are mediocre and are in English.
You're also saying that European all lecturers will be 'deported' as such which is just not true. Many, like my father, have a British citizenship so please do not assume that 'all these foreign law lecturers teaching in UK unis now will have to return back to their home countries.'
I am really quite shocked at the way you have expressed yourself. If you had articulated your opinions more sensitively and less judgmentally, I might not have been so angry to respond to your sweeping statements.

I absolutely agree with you. I am from Europe too. Does that mean that I will be a useless lawyer with an accent some day?? We are all equal :smile:
As for league tables...they are ridiculous :biggrin: Oxford Brookes is higher than Nottingham, Manchester and Birmingham... seriously? :biggrin: :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending