Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am applying for Bsc Psychology courses for all choices, however would love to apply for the Criminology and Psychology course at RHUL. My personal statement is geared towards psychology due to my other options (with the odd mention of the forensic area being of interest to me). Holloway is my dream uni and i don't want to jeopardise my chances of getting an offer because i don't sound passionate about both subjects. Is it best to stick to just psychology and be safe or would it not be a risk? Would i be able to change course if i got in and thought that i would enjoy the joint course more after trying pure psychology?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Chloe slay)
    I am applying for Bsc Psychology courses for all choices, however would love to apply for the Criminology and Psychology course at RHUL. My personal statement is geared towards psychology due to my other options (with the odd mention of the forensic area being of interest to me). Holloway is my dream uni and i don't want to jeopardise my chances of getting an offer because i don't sound passionate about both subjects. Is it best to stick to just psychology and be safe or would it not be a risk? Would i be able to change course if i got in and thought that i would enjoy the joint course more after trying pure psychology?
    Hi Chloe,

I'm glad to hear that you are interested in our Psychology courses!

This is a common issue amongst students applying for varying degrees and is really not something to worry about too much.

There are many similarities between Psychology and Criminology that you can draw upon and as such I would encourage you to make reference to both within your personal statement. This will show that you do have an interest and passion to study the joint honours degree. However, we do appreciate that it is difficult to have a full balance between the two programmes and that it is likely your statement would be geared more towards Psychology.

Generally, we would advise students who wish to change degree programmes to discuss this prior to enrolling at the College. It is also worth noting that we invite offer holders to an Applicant Visit Day in which they have the opportunity to meet with their department. If you are having reservations about the course you have applied for, this would be a useful opportunity to speak with academics directly who may be able to offer advice.

Switching degree programmes once you have enrolled is sometimes possible but this would be subject to you meeting the initial entry requirements for the course, there being space on the course and the consideration of how much of the course you would have already missed. It's possible, but it's not something we could guarantee.

I'm also going to private message you some further details regarding your personal statement.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Camilla

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 21, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.