Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there I am starting to write and gather my first university essay.

I have found a very good article/original essay online which is helpful towards the question I have been asked to discuss.

There are 3 good points made by separate psychologists which would suit my essay but if I put all of these points from the original essay into my essay, is this a form of plagiarism?

Obviously I will credit the psychologists and explain what their points mean in my own words, but I didn't want to use the same psychologists and their points from an already made essay if it wasn't allowed (I'd ask my tutor but she's a bit unapproachable)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juuuuh)
    Hi there I am starting to write and gather my first university essay.

I have found a very good article/original essay online which is helpful towards the question I have been asked to discuss.

There are 3 good points made by separate psychologists which would suit my essay but if I put all of these points from the original essay into my essay, is this a form of plagiarism?

Obviously I will credit the psychologists and explain what their points mean in my own words, but I didn't want to use the same psychologists and their points from an already made essay if it wasn't allowed (I'd ask my tutor but she's a bit unapproachable)
    Of course it's not plagiarism, but make sure that you say that the points are from a certain essay

ReputationRep:
    Id recommend you go to the original sources which are referenced in the first essay.. be mindful of the dates and how old the essay is and if new research will be created. I would discourage you using the same arguments and formats of this essay as it may be picked up by turn it in and the teacher may think you have tried to cheat. I don't know if this is plagiarism or not but it is definitely a bit risky..

ReputationRep:
    Generally better to avoid other people's essays. Just risky ground, the problem is you might not intend to plagiarise at all but if you accidently write something similar because you've read it you might copy without realising because once you've seen a good idea it will just sound better than your own plans.

Find the original sources and read them. Often people find similar sources for the same essay as they will all search the same things on google scholar, that's not an issue. You just need to make sure you're getting it down in your own words and understand the articles properly. I regularly looked at the sources on a good article to find other sources to read and never got pulled up on it. Just make sure they're not a fundamental part of your essay and you actually know what you're citing.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 21, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.