Turn on thread page Beta

Can you switch from a masters course to a bachelors on results day? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    So I want to study Computer Science at university and my predictions are A*A*A (AS grades: AAA). I'm applying to the following Universities: Birmingham, Nottingham, UCL, Manchester and Loughborough.

I will probably want to do a masters at some point and considering my predictions, I thought I may aswell apply for an integrated masters now since I will need either A*AA or AAB for it. But, if on results day I don't get the grades, is it possible to drop to a Bachelors degree since it requires lower grades anyway? I don't want to lose my spot at university just because I applied to a high degree Or shall I just apply to a Bachelors for now and then switch during my first/second year?

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on the university, because obviously they are all different. For example, I know that if you apply to do a Masters at Surrey and get an offer of AAA, but on results day achieve AAB (the grades required for the bachelors degree), they will let you onto the bachelors course. Of course, other universities may be different so it's probably best to contact the admissions team for each university and ask them.

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmmaLouise759)
    It really depends on the university, because obviously they are all different. For example, I know that if you apply to do a Masters at Surrey and get an offer of AAA, but on results day achieve AAB (the grades required for the bachelors degree), they will let you onto the bachelors course. Of course, other universities may be different so it's probably best to contact the admissions team for each university and ask them.
    That's exactly what my offer from Surrey said.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it does depend on the university

When I was going around a few, Surrey said they'd guarantee a place on the BEng if you miss the MEng grades, and Southampton said that they would try to move you down if space allows. No-one else mentioned it.

ReputationRep:
    It isnt a 'Masters' in the conventional sense - ie. it is NOT equivalent to a postgrad MA/MSc.
    It is an undergrad 'M' degree and yes, its designed for those with higher ambitions but it is not a cunning way of getting SF to fund postgrad.

If you want to do the MSci instead of the BSc - 4 years instead of 3 years at ug level - then its best to apply for the higher level course from the start. Two reasons - fewer people apply for the M courses so you are more likely to get an offer, and also it can be tricky to change your SF application to a 4 year course at a later stage.

Usually the first year at least is the same on both pathways so if you can usually interchange either way once you get there. Its common for Unis to switch 'missed M course' to the B course on Results DAy - though there is no guarantee of there being places of course. My advice would be to go for the M course from the start - it shows ambition and you would have a big incentive to really works for those grades.

ReputationRep:
    It kind of is a cunning way to get sf to fund postgrad.

I can pick all the same modules as those in our department's MSc degrees. Only difference is we do a 9 month research project instead of a dissertation.

ReputationRep:
    They will invariably, if they have space, consider near miss applicants for alternative but similar programmes, including swapping from a masters to bachelors. Certainly this is almost always looked at before going into Clearing, because their preference is for students who chose that uni as their first choice

Of course, there may be no space at all, but I wouldn't worry about the difference between a bachelor's and masters on results day

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.