Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Pushing people away watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was with someone a few years back, and when it ended i didn't just lose his friendship but the rest of our friendship group as well (I made the decision to remove myself).

I have been single since and while I acknowledge it's mainly due to how much I was hurt by that situation, it was also because I have had a lot of other things going on mainly in terms of my health.

It' got to a point where I am known by everyone at uni to bat away all guys who approach me. I have reached a point where I'd love to get back in the dating scene/have guy friends and I've only longed the process out of fear. I feel awkward even talking about boys with my friends as I have avoided it for all these years, and many of the great friends I have in my life now have only seen the anti-boy side of me.

I don't know how to 'change'. I self sabotage when I talk to guys just because it's something I used to get out of situations and now it's become a reflex. A lot of my friends are in serious/mature relationships and are moving forward with their lives (graduating/jobs/engagement) and it's something I also want to move towards instead of holding onto angst towards a boy from my teens.

How do I get out of this cycle? And how do I get my friends to not freak out by this sudden change? WHAT IS THE FIRST STEPPP

ReputationRep:
    Join a sports club or society.

ReputationRep:
    I just found out about this band's song and I know exactly how you feel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBr8Zt2eS9o

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 21, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.