Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can university offer you a place for a subject different to the one you applied for? watch

ReputationRep:
    I can't find any information about this anywhere. But has this ever happened? In that, they might think you'll be more suitable for one course. Especially interested in terms of Oxbridge - have they ever done this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by creamteapunk)
    I can't find any information about this anywhere. But has this ever happened? In that, they might think you'll be more suitable for one course. Especially interested in terms of Oxbridge - have they ever done this?
    Yes, offering a change of course is quite common, but I haven't personally heard it happen at Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by creamteapunk)
    Bristol were doing this last year turning people down for Medicine and offering other courses like Biological and Medicinal Chemistry instead. Some where else did it turning down people for History and offering something like Archeology instead. It is important people are not blinded by this. It is a way of unis filling empty spaces on course they cannot fill

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swanseajack1)
    Bristol were doing this last year turning people down for Medicine and offering other courses like Biological and Medicinal Chemistry instead. Some where else did it turning down people for History and offering something like Archeology instead. It is important people are not blinded by this. It is a way of unis filling empty spaces on course they cannot fill
    Err..as a Bristol Chemist i am definitely positive that we don't offer Biological and/or Medicinal Chemistry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InadequateJusticex)
    Err..as a Bristol Chemist i am definitely positive that we don't offer Biological and/or Medicinal Chemistry
    http://search.ucas.com/course/summar...24&ret=results

The name might be sightly different but I'm guessing this is it.

ReputationRep:
    Its VERY common for Unis to offer 'alternative courses' to those who either miss the required predicted grades for their preferred course or whose PS suggests they would be better off on another course.

Its a way of holding onto applicants committed to that Uni rather than a blunt 'No'. You dont have to say Yes to any alternative course offered - but its always worth reading the course description and thinking about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    http://search.ucas.com/course/summar...24&ret=results

The name might be sightly different but I'm guessing this is it.
    Biochemistry is significantly different to Chemistry! But fair enough

ReputationRep:
    Biochemistry is significantly different to Chemistry! But fair enough
    I dare say it is, but the point was about offering biochemistry and medicinal chemistry to rejected medics. Ordinary chemistry wasn't mentioned until you brought it up.:confused:

ReputationRep:
    No chance Oxbridge will do it. They get enough outstanding applicants for every course, don't see why they'd need to take some from other subjects xD

ReputationRep:
    I know they offered 3 courses cannot remember the exact names but the point I was making was they were turning people down for Medicine and offering other less popular courses instead. This was reported on here whom this had happened to
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ComputerMaths97)
    No chance Oxbridge will do it. They get enough outstanding applicants for every course, don't see why they'd need to take some from other subjects xD
    That's not true. They do it in cases where the applicant applied for a join-honours course originally.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    I dare say it is, but the point was about offering biochemistry and medicinal chemistry to rejected medics. Ordinary chemistry wasn't mentioned until you brought it up.:confused:
    If you read swanseajack's post he clearly says biological/medicinal CHEMISTRY not biological/medicinal biochemistry. Had that course existed it would've been part of the school of chemistry mainly, hence why i got involved.

Quite a pedantic argument really, so best just drop it here.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    If you read swanseajack's post he clearly says biological/medicinal CHEMISTRY not biological/medicinal biochemistry. Had that course existed it would've been part of the school of chemistry mainly, hence why i got involved.

Quite a pedantic argument really, so best just drop it here.
    Biological Biochemistry doesn't make much sense... Do the Bios cancel out and somehow make Chemistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you apply for Physics at Oxford they will ask if you want to be considered for Materials science as well. But I don't know of any other instances where something like this happens.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.