Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Have been given my first essay since starting uni in September. There are a wide range of questions, I think around 10-15 and have a week to do it. It's 1000 words and I honestly don't really know what I am doing when it comes to a uni essay. How should I start this? Where can I find research/good sources? What tips would you give for choosing a question? What general tips would you give to help with essay writing?

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    Writing a good essay is not very complicated, here are some basic tips from my experience:

1. Choose an interesting topic, think about the main idea of your essay
    2. Collect information and materials, read some relevant books or websites (Google is the best source to search for helpful info. If you need a specific literature, go to the library)
    Tip: Don't copy-paste. You won't get a good mark for plagiarized essay (use a high quality plagiarism checker to have no doubts, for instance, my Uni uses Unplag)
    3. Write a draft and think about the structure of your essay
    Tip: Discuss your ideas with someone, start a conversation (with parents/friends or your teacher), it will inspire you and give more interesting thoughts to write about.
    4. Start writing. Don't give up and keep writing even if you don't think your essay is good enough. Just don't panic :-)
    Tip: Create the body of your essay when the draft is finished.
    5.When the rough draft is ready, send it to your friend (preferably, a clever one :-) ). Ask him to read it and give a feedback.
    6. Make any necessary corrections and re-read your essay one more time.

Remember, it's your first turn, it will take you a little while to know how to write essays perfectly.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    To expand on the post above, planning is really important.

Think about how you would answer the question, what angle you will take (try to get 3/4 variations) and then build points around it (you can change as you go). A good start is breaking it into 2 basic parts. Its how people will answer real questions a lot of the time anyway:

-Yeah I really enjoyed the film, but I preferred the main actors last film
    -I think the conservatives have some awful economic policies, but I couldn't see Corbyn as prime minister
    -The main cause of ___ war was sociological however it might not have caused enough friction without various economic changes.
    -Government involvement in R&D is likely to result in a positive outcome but an overly centralised role will not be efficient.

There will be loads of different ways you can argue something so try phrasing in different ways, but keep relating the stuff you say to your overall argument. If you can't think of any points try, go back to lecture slides and core readings. Also go to your lecturers if you are really struggling.

For sources look on google scholar, use articles from peer reviewed journals. Also visit your library (though I always found it was harder to get specific informations, good for general stuff). I wouldn't recommend using general websites (they can be a start sometimes) for anything theoretical, they don't make good references so try to only use when you have to ie: a company website.

ReputationRep:
    Writing an essay is not that difficult as it seems
    To begin with, make up your mind on the topic. I suggest you to choose one, that will be interesting to you. If your professor has already given you a topic, read about it as much as you can.
    Moreover, you should write down a short outline that will represent the structure and the main idea of the essay. This will help you to follow the topic and provide appropriate arguments.
    In addition, cite all the sources in order to avoid plagiarism problem.
    In conclusion, proofread your paper at least three times.

If you need more information, here is a good article:
    http://blog.pro-papers.com/writing-t...d-long-essays/

I hope this information was helpful))
    Good luck!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 28, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.