Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I was forced into a gap year as I did not have enough money to go to uni this year. How do I include this in my personal statement? I'm not planning any work experience, as I have decided to resit one of my subjects to improve the grade; should I simply say this with one sentence?
    Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Seriously?! Either you're a troll or you've not put any thought into this. It does not take a whole year to resit one subject. Get a job, get some work experience and save up. Come on, show some motivation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    Seriously?! Either you're a troll or you've not put any thought into this. It does not take a whole year to resit one subject. Get a job, get some work experience and save up. Come on, show some motivation.
    It takes a whole year considering I need to attend every one of my lessons, which is a random point in the day, meaning I can't get a full time job or any apprenticeships - meaning I will lack any experience in computing. I HAVE a job, it's just at Sainsbury's; not really relevant to my degree. So that being said, is the fact I work in Sainsbury's relevant enough for my PS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimmy_M)
    It takes a whole year considering I need to attend every one of my lessons, which is a random point in the day, meaning I can't get a full time job or any apprenticeships - meaning I will lack any experience in computing. I HAVE a job, it's just at Sainsbury's; not really relevant to my degree. So that being said, is the fact I work in Sainsbury's relevant enough for my PS?
    Ok, that puts a different spin on things. Do you really have to attend every lesson? Can you not just sit the exam as an external candidate?

Can you do computing things and gain experience in your spare time/evenings/weekends?

Working in a supermarket is great experience - if you phrase it well. Dealing with members of the public in a high-tempo environment, problem solving, working as part of a team - all phrases which make it sound better than it probably is! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    Ok, that puts a different spin on things. Do you really have to attend every lesson? Can you not just sit the exam as an external candidate?

Can you do computing things and gain experience in your spare time/evenings/weekends?

Working in a supermarket is great experience - if you phrase it well. Dealing with members of the public in a high-tempo environment, problem solving, working as part of a team - all phrases which make it sound better than it probably is! Good luck!
    I've been told I have to attend or I'll get kicked out - bit stupid if you ask me.

Speaking of experience in my spare time, any ideas of what this could include? I do various research, just like Youtube videos but can't think of anything other than this I could do - find a club maybe?

Alright I'll try putting something like that in!

Thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    I've been told I have to attend or I'll get kicked out - bit stupid if you ask me.
    I'm not familiar with resitting A-levels, maybe someone else can help out here. I would have thought that you could leave the school and do the course through a college thereby freeing up your days to do something more productive with your gap year.

Speaking of experience in my spare time, any ideas of what this could include? I do various research, just like Youtube videos but can't think of anything other than this I could do - find a club maybe?
    That really depends on you - what do you want to do at uni? What are you interested in? What can you do already? There are plenty of computing skills you could learn during the year - such as coding, web page design, game design - which will help you in the long run and look good on a CV.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Volunteering at least? Weekend work? Or extra courses (Open University for example). I don't think it will look good if all you are doing is retaking one A Level

ReputationRep:
    So I was forced into a gap year as I did not have enough money to go to uni this year. How do I include this in my personal statement? I'm not planning any work experience, as I have decided to resit one of my subjects to improve the grade; should I simply say this with one sentence?
    Thanks in advance
    Why not resist privately so you have more free time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    Volunteering at least? Weekend work? Or extra courses (Open University for example). I don't think it will look good if all you are doing is retaking one A Level
    I agree, but as I said the reason I couldn't go this year is because of money, so I need to work to save some. And I also need to attend my lessons daily so volunteering won't really work. As for weekend work - I don't see how I'll get any weekend work in the computing industry, although I shall take a look to see what I can find.

(Original post by cherryred90s)
    Why not resist privately so you have more free time?
    I realised I failed to mention I am resitting Applied ICT, which is a coursework based subject - exams are almost irrelevant for me.

ReputationRep:
    Apologies, but going back to my original question - how do I write this in my PS?
    Obviously it seems bad resitting just one A-Level, so should I make clear that my primary issue is that I did not have enough money? Resitting was just a secondary 'bonus', so should I literally say "I am taking a gap year as I need to save some money"??

ReputationRep:
    Apologies, but going back to my original question - how do I write this in my PS?
    Obviously it seems bad resitting just one A-Level, so should I make clear that my primary issue is that I did not have enough money? Resitting was just a secondary 'bonus', so should I literally say "I am taking a gap year as I need to save some money"??
    You don't even have to mention that you're taking a gap year. I didn't
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    I agree, but as I said the reason I couldn't go this year is because of money, so I need to work to save some. And I also need to attend my lessons daily so volunteering won't really work. As for weekend work - I don't see how I'll get any weekend work in the computing industry, although I shall take a look to see what I can find.

I realised I failed to mention I am resitting Applied ICT, which is a coursework based subject - exams are almost irrelevant for me.
    You say you need money, but it doesn't really match up if you don't have a job... You don't need to say why you're taking a gap year, but you should say what you're doing with it and it should be more than just retaking one subject. You can find jobs that are more flexible (or volunteering), or you could just take the exams and not go to the lessons

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.