Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

So I'm currently in Year 13 and just starting my UCAS application. I study Philosophy and Ethics, Psychology and History and got BBB at AS. 50% of my History course this year is coursework, so realistically I should be able to achieve ABB.

My only trouble is that I have no idea what I want to do when I leave, which is making course choices really difficult for me! My Sixth Form mentor has advised me to choose something that I am drawn to/ interested in (obviously), and I have been torn between Property Management/ Real Estate and Business Law.

What I want to know is - Are these degrees a good choice for somebody who doesn't know what career path they want to take? And which of the two would be more beneficial when it comes to employment opportunities? Just looking for some opinions really!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abbiepennell)
    Hi guys,

So I'm currently in Year 13 and just starting my UCAS application. I study Philosophy and Ethics, Psychology and History and got BBB at AS. 50% of my History course this year is coursework, so realistically I should be able to achieve ABB.

My only trouble is that I have no idea what I want to do when I leave, which is making course choices really difficult for me! My Sixth Form mentor has advised me to choose something that I am drawn to/ interested in (obviously), and I have been torn between Property Management/ Real Estate and Business Law.

What I want to know is - Are these degrees a good choice for somebody who doesn't know what career path they want to take? And which of the two would be more beneficial when it comes to employment opportunities? Just looking for some opinions really!
    Am applying to do law with business at various universities. The reason for this is i am interested in both business and law and it keeps career options open to either go into a legal career or something in business management. So this sort of degree is respected and keeps your options open

ReputationRep:
    No doubt you have heard that a career in law is ultra competitive... therefore it is smart to take a wider approach in tackling the issue of making your CV standout while also balancing your individual interests.

However there is more than one way to "skin a cat" and allow the convergence of these two ideals.

If you are interested in Business and Law, with perhaps Law being your final destination, why not apply for the best university you can for Business or more specifically Accounting.

After achieving this qualification, then pursue a Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL) which is a one year conversion course.

If after completing the Business/Finance/Accounting course if you still have the urge to pursue law, you can do so in one calendar year, and then go on to either the BPTC (Barrister) or LPC (Solicitor) route.

The reason I highlight a full degree rather than dual focused, is the breadth and depth of the former. Equally as a Tax professional, especially a trained tax/accountant professional/Barrister, you would be snapped up quite quickly, if your academics are suitable.

Which is another reason to achieve the best grades possible to get into the best uni possible. Unfortunately in the legal profession (at least to get your foot in the door) University name matters... it is not the end all and be all, but it is used as a broad measuring stick.

If money is your carrot, and you need verification of the types of money Tax Lawyers can earn, start subscribing to "The Lawyer" online and the "student version of that e-zine. Also sign up for the recruitment emails for NQ or 1-5 PQE.

You will soon see how much demand there is for Tax Lawyers... and what people are willing to pay.

Hope this helps and good luck on your journey.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Hi Abbie! I wasn't sure what I wanted to do subject wise or career path wise when it came to my UCAS application either. There are plenty of degree routes to choose from and I imagine you feel a bit overwhelmed for choice, as I know I certainly did!
    Since I was undecided about what I wanted to do I was advised to go for a degree which had transferable skills - so I'm now currently studying at Chichester University doing one of their Business Courses (despite never doing Business before) and I love it already! What made my mind up for me was going to lots of Open Days and subject talks to find out more about the course and whether I'd be interested. Hope you find what something that suits you!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Hi Abbie. You might want to check-out our little discussion on real estate at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...ht=Real+estate
    Joe (Doak), Uni of Reading

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 3, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.