Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

I'm having a small bit of trouble using academic journals as sources for essay writing. I'm fine with referencing them, we're just using harvard. I've done plenty of assignments leading up to college but never really used journals.

ok so a lot of the material that is useful to me is from research papers. I'm fine with articles I believe it's just a case of getting what I need from them and paraphrasing it. However I'm not at all sure how I would use the material from research, I find myself just really describing what happened in the particular studies and I'm not sure if that's appropriate. Also I have no real idea how to introduce them into the work, what type of sentence would I use, would it be something simple or is there a method for using them.

If anyone can help me out , then please do. An example of a type of sentence used to bring them into the work would be great.

Many many thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luthaniel)
    Hey all,

I'm having a small bit of trouble using academic journals as sources for essay writing. I'm fine with referencing them, we're just using harvard. I've done plenty of assignments leading up to college but never really used journals.

ok so a lot of the material that is useful to me is from research papers. I'm fine with articles I believe it's just a case of getting what I need from them and paraphrasing it. However I'm not at all sure how I would use the material from research, I find myself just really describing what happened in the particular studies and I'm not sure if that's appropriate. Also I have no real idea how to introduce them into the work, what type of sentence would I use, would it be something simple or is there a method for using them.

If anyone can help me out , then please do. An example of a type of sentence used to bring them into the work would be great.

Many many thanks.
    Sorry for the annoying reply but I'd strongly recommend speaking to your tutor about this. Do you have one-to-one sessions? If not maybe ask at the end of a lecture if you can discuss it. There's no harm in asking for help

ReputationRep:
    I'm really confused about this "academic journal" thing too. And we have to use the havard system too. Tutors haven't even explained it :s, they just uploaded the booklet to moodle lol. I'm new to referencing - didn't do it at A level because my subjects were exam based.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 21, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.