The Student Room Group

Triple science or extra choice?

Soon I am going to be choosing my GCSEs after adding up the amount of classes in a week and core subjects I am left with a choice of (preferably) double award science or triple science. If I choose double science I get two more choices (definitely computer science and perhaps history) and if I choose triple science I only get one more choice (computer science).

My question is should I choose the more detailed triple science and have lots of scientific subjects or choose double award and have more of a range of subjects to strengthen my skills (in essay writing for example if I choose History)
Any advice from people who have done GCSEs would be greatly appreciated
Go with triple science if you aren't sure about history, if you are going into something like computer science / science you're going to need physics to stand a good chance! The history GCSE that I did last year was extremely boring and time consuming, but that's my opinion, you might like it.
I recommend double science. If you study triple science you do 1 extra unit of Biology, Chemistry and Physics. It may not seem like a lot but 9 science exams at the end of year 11 is craaaazy. I do double and I only have 3 as some schools offer double science students the chance to sit the core units a year early which is SO much better in my opinion. You will want to have varied GCSE's so having history is a good idea because essay writing will compliment english well.

However, do what you enjoy at the end of the day. If you decide to do double and want to do sciences for A level,its still possible, and if you decide to do triple and want to do history at A level it is also possible. Therefore, it really doesn't matter much. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest