Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying first year maths at Warwick, but looking into transferring back to Manchester (reasons being urgent family issues back home as well as other factors) to study there instead. I have had to go home to Manchester every weekend so far to take care of my dad, meaning I've missed out on a few lectures and assignments already. If I moved back to Manchester, I feel like I would be able to concentrate better and get a better end grade.

The reason I chose Warwick in the first place however was because it has a "better" course (i.e. employers would value it more), but if i could get a better grade in Manchester, would employers value a first from Manchester in maths or a 2:1 from Warwick?

ReputationRep:
    Theres too much emphasis on this forum on best university, as if you just need to sit somewhere and somehow that is automatically prestigious. If you get first Class masters from manchester of first class from warwick, its unlikely to make any difference.

ReputationRep:
    First from Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LPSteve)
    I'm currently studying first year maths at Warwick, but looking into transferring back to Manchester (reasons being urgent family issues back home as well as other factors) to study there instead. I have had to go home to Manchester every weekend so far to take care of my dad, meaning I've missed out on a few lectures and assignments already. If I moved back to Manchester, I feel like I would be able to concentrate better and get a better end grade.

The reason I chose Warwick in the first place however was because it has a "better" course (i.e. employers would value it more), but if i could get a better grade in Manchester, would employers value a first from Manchester in maths or a 2:1 from Warwick?
    First from Manchester

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    First from Manchester
    Am I right in thinking that this is mainly because most employers wouldn't realise how much better Warwick is than Manchester though?

Would it be different for academia?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johann von Gauss)
    Am I right in thinking that this is mainly because most employers wouldn't realise how much better Warwick is than Manchester though?

Would it be different for academia?

correct on both counts

ReputationRep:
    2:1 from Warwick, employers dont really care about a first, get a 2:1 + experience/volunteering/sports and you're much better off.

ReputationRep:
    When looking for jobs, it just doesn't matter on the grades.It depends on your capability. Work experience etc. all counts as well

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't matter unless you wanna work in a highly competitive industry such as IB.

ReputationRep:
    Well, The Complete University Guide ranks Warwick 4th and Manchester 28th in Maths league table. Well-informed academics and employers alike could favour Warwick, but I expect that the majority would favour the First from Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrSocSciences)
    Well, The Complete University Guide ranks Warwick 4th and Manchester 28th in Maths league table. Well-informed academics and employers alike could favour Warwick, but I expect that the majority would favour the First from Manchester.
    **Sigh**. Quoting the newspaper university rankings....

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't look at this as much as a dichotomy between Warwick and Manchester, as much as I would view it as not having an efficient system to take care of your dad. I'm asking out of interest - is there any other appropriate services that could help him e.g. NHS Continuing Healthcare or Adult Social Care, if it's very serious?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FGT12)
    **Sigh**. Quoting the newspaper university rankings....
    Yup, the purpose of citing the source is so that you can assign your own subjective value to that source. I didn't offer my personal valuation of the source, I just offered a piece of information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TunaTunnel)
    2:1 from Warwick, employers dont really care about a first, get a 2:1 + experience/volunteering/sports and you're much better off.
    Unless you decide to study for a PHD and then most universities would favour or state candidates to have a 1st since your competing for places with a 1/35 chance i.e Imperial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxKingSniprxX)
    Unless you decide to study for a PHD and then most universities would favour or state candidates to have a 1st since your competing for places with a 1/35 chance i.e Imperial.
    And if you get a high first they might give you a scholarship as well

ReputationRep:
    Do what is best for you and your dad. Getting your personal life as sorted as it can be is vital both in and of itself and in terms of giving you the stability to perform as best as you can in a degree, regardless of which uni that is at.

Wishing you both well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skill Twix)
    And if you get a high first they might give you a scholarship as well
    Made up. 1st class degree from either would get you a PhD at Imperial. Would depend more on finding a suitable supervisor, who you are interested in their (tiny) area of research and they like you. Scoring 80+% is only mildly impressive.

Funding is given in sciences to most PhDs (not a scholarship). Most PhDs are just required to have a first class undergrad degree (could be 2.1, but seems unlikely).

ReputationRep:
    I got a PhD scholarship without a First: you just need a killer research proposal and decent interview skills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FGT12)
    Made up. 1st class degree from either would get you a PhD at Imperial. Would depend more on finding a suitable supervisor, who you are interested in their (tiny) area of research and they like you. Scoring 80+% is only mildly impressive.

Funding is given in sciences to most PhDs (not a scholarship). Most PhDs are just required to have a first class undergrad degree (could be 2.1, but seems unlikely).
    Oh.I heard it from somewhere.Thanks for clarifying

ReputationRep:
    You should consider taking a year out of the degree, tell Warwick your circumstances and they will probably allow you to cater for your needs and come back when you are fit to study. Warwick maths leads you to so many places so it'll be hard to give it up...

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.