Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For those of you who play RPGs, what is it about them that you enjoy? Why do you play them and what is it that you look for within them?

To clarify, I mean single player RPGs such as The Elder Scrolls, The Witcher or the Final Fantasy series as opposed to MMORPGs like WoW or Knights of the Old Republic.

ReputationRep:
    I am an old-school gamer.

Hence one of my favorite RPGs being The Legend of the Dragoon on PS1.

Another is 'The Bouncer' on PS2.

Generally in RPGs the storyline, adventures, realism, music and characters fascinate me.
    Plus if I put the time in apart from Beat Em Up's they are one of the few games I can complete and would actually be happy to complete.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by affluentmakaveli)
    I am an old-school gamer.

Hence one of my favorite RPGs being The Legend of the Dragoon on PS1.

Another is 'The Bouncer' on PS2.

Generally in RPGs the storyline, adventures, realism, music and characters fascinate me.
    Plus if I put the time in apart from Beat Em Up's they are one of the few games I can complete and would actually be happy to complete.
    Its the same with me.

The whole experience is what I find thrilling . I generally stick to MMORPGs though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    Its the same with me.

The whole experience is what I find thrilling . I generally stick to MMORPGs though.
    Yeah Multiplayer is awesome.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, it's why I read books. I want to experience another life essentially.

And just looking at the world, i mean especially Far Cry 3, the landscape is beautiful

ReputationRep:
    Just the adventure side of things. Being sucked into a totally different world, having an epic soundtrack playing and having that freedom to manoeuvre around to explore etc. The stories sort of draw me in and I become invested quite quickly.

ReputationRep:
    When I played FF9 - I read the strategy guide - so I suppose that is my Game-based book.

ReputationRep:
    Easy to get invested in, plenty to do so when you need a break from the main story you can do a few sidequests. Large enough scope to create really memorable characters and stories too. Also, probably not a very common one, but they give good value for money; sometimes there's hundreds of hours of stuff to do and I feel comfortable spending £35 on that than say a football game. Fallout comes out soon, I can't wait for that

ReputationRep:
    RPGs have a huge emphasis on writing, so it has to be very strong. And if the writing's strong, that means people are going to be emotionally invested, so the ones who like RPG tend to be crazy about them.

They also tend to have awe-inspiring or fantastical settings or environments, something you can't usually fit in nearly all other genres of game.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 24, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.